Campus Horror Story: Nothing to Wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It’s Friday night. The air is cool and the dorm is quiet. You hear a faint rustling of leaves outside your window as the wind blows past. You shudder, and a conversation begins to replay in your head.

“Hey, are you going out tonight? I hear everyone’s going downtown,” your friend explains. “Midterms are finally over, and we’re all going out to celebrate!” You reply, “Sure, I’d love to come. I’ll meet you tonight at 11.”

As you flash back to the present and walk towards your closet, you begin to feel a little unsettled. Brushing it off, you slowly grasp the rusty handle and turn it to the right. It squeaks. You pull back slowly and open the door. It creaks. You look into the dark, lonely, bitter abyss and flip on the light only to realize……YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!

Your heart is pounding as you start rumbling through piles of dirty sweaters, ugly dresses, and hideous blouses. Your palms begin to sweat as you dig through your past worn outfits, cursing the thought of you ever re-wearing them. You scream in fear as you come to grips with the fact that your life is LITERALLY OVER!

You glance at the old alarm clock sitting on your bedside table: 10:15. Time to go to the mall. With this, you grab your jacket, pick up your keys, and rush out the door. You hit each stair with a loud thud that echos throughout the stairwell, but there’s no time to look back. You hop into your car and head to your safe house: Forever 21.

You arrive at the store and begin rummaging though endless racks of mini skirts and crop tops. Your heart is beating faster as you look the time again. With fifteen minutes left, there is no time to waste. Almost all hope is lost. Your knees begin to tremble. Your body begins to ache.

“This is the end,” you whisper to yourself. “I surrender.”

You begin walking back to the car in defeat when suddenly out the corner of your eye appears a little black dress with an open back. It’s perfect.

You throw on the dress, pay at the register, and head downtown to meet your friends. You know it will be an awesome night, despite recent events. Everything is safe and all is well in the world. That is… until next weekend.