BookTok Made Me Do It: My Updated To Be Read List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

As most of us know, it just takes one TikTok to show up on our FYP and lead us down the rabbit hole of a new community. Depending on your interests, your FYP might be surrounding cooking, fashion, comedic sketches, music, some other topic, or a mix of them. Few people however have escaped the presence of BookTok, which is full of TikTok creators showing their fave and least fave books that they have read. As someone who doesn’t read a ton, I turn to these creators for their self-proclaimed expertise. If you have been to Barnes and Noble lately then you likely have seen a table marked “BookTok”. I happened to stop in a Barnes and Noble while in LA for Spring Break a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t resist picking up The Love Hypothesis. While waiting for my delayed flight back to ATL, I made it through half of the book in the airport and, although I slept during my red-eye, I read finished the book as soon as I got home. 

As a third-year Ph.D. candidate, Olive Smith doesn’t believe in lasting romantic relationships–but her best friend does, and that’s what got her into this situation.

Goodreads

Since finishing The Love Hypothesis, I have had a book-shaped hole in my life that needed to be filled. I forgot how good it felt to be excited to read a book and continuously turn the page no matter how tired I was. Where else would I go besides TikTok to find another book to read… or three! I watched a few videos such as this one so that I could find a book that would be similar to The Love Hypothesis since I liked it so much. I immediately placed a Barnes and Noble order for three books that I will now try and read while also staying on top of my school work.

The Spanish Love Deception: A Novel by Elena Armas (Fake-dating/Enemies to Lovers)

“A wedding. A trip to Spain. The most infuriating man. And three days of pretending. Or in other words, a plan that will never work.” (Goodreads)

It Happened One Summer: A Novel by Tessa Bailey (Grumpy/Sunshine)

“Piper hasn’t even been in Westport for five minutes when she meets big, bearded sea captain Brendan, who thinks she won’t last a week outside of Beverly Hills… She’s determined to show her stepfather—and the hot, grumpy local—that she’s more than a pretty face.” (Goodreads)

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne (Enemies to Lovers)

“Debut author Sally Thorne bursts on the scene with a hilarious and sexy workplace comedy all about that thin, fine line between hate and love.” (Goodreads)

I can’t wait to finish these books and see what all of the hype was about!

Brianna Mays is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UGA. She was born and raised in Gwinnett County, GA. She is a Terry Business Student majoring in Management: Human Resouces with a minor in Spanish and Fashion Merchandising.