The Best Snacks at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

As an avid Harry Potter fan who believes that the magic is still real regardless of what year it is, going to Universal Orlando’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter is like a vision as to what life would have been had my letter arrived when I was eleven. With the Hogwarts Castle, Honeydukes, Ollivander’s, and a dozen other little stores, it is as close to the real thing as one can get. While I would like to say I spent my money on souvenirs, the majority of it went to sweets, so here is a list of the eight best snacks in no particular order for every wizard, witch, or muggle who is interested. 

Butterbeer 

The most notable classic is available in a cold, a frozen and a hot option. Each drink comes with a layer of cream on top, so be careful not to get it all over your lip. Butterbeer carts are scattered across Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. For any Harry Potter fan, or really just anyone visiting the park, butterbeer is an item you can’t miss having at least one, or two, or three times. 

Pumpkin Pasty

Available in Honeydukes and the Sweet Shoppe, the pumpkin pasty is a baked pastry filled with sweetened pumpkin puree. These desserts are a good midday snack that one could eat while walking around the park or take to eat while on the train. 

Fish and Chips

Nothing screams British food like fish and chips. Available at the Leaky Cauldron and the Three Broomsticks, the fish and chips in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter makes a filling lunch or dinner for those looking to get into the British spirit. The crunchy fish and chips go well with tartar sauce or ketchup, but if you are feeling truly British some would recommend mayo. 

Chocolate Frogs

These hopping little chocolate treats come in a pretty purple and gold box, with a character card enclosed. These frogs may not actually hop, but they are large enough to be a hefty several-day snack should you choose to bring it home as a souvenir. Plus, you get a character card featuring either one of the four Hogwarts house founders or Dumbledore himself. 

Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans

While yummy flavors like berry and bubblegum exist, so do the more disgusting counterparts such as booger, dirt, and the truly abhorrent vomit flavor. This is definitely a snack for the riskier and more adventurous wizards, not for the faint of heart or those with an easily upset stomach. These are not something to absent-mindedly snack on, as most want to avoid the earwax and soap flavored jellybeans. 

Shepherd’s Pie

A heartier meal, the shepherd’s pie is exactly what one would expect to find at the Great Hall during dinner time. Shepherd’s pie is essentially an entire meal enclosed in one yummy dish. Meat, peas, and carrots are all tucked into a mashed potato topping, which is everything a hungry wizard could hope for. Also known as cottage pie, this dish comes in a variety of options including lamb and beef. 

Exploding BonBons

The packaging alone makes as much of a statement as the fizzy popping candy inside these white chocolate truffles. With hints of fruity flavors, pineapple and orange, these treats are super sweet. Wrapped in orange foil and organized in a pretty triangle, these candies make a great souvenir to share among friends or to keep all for yourself. 

Other Butterbeer flavored things

That’s right, Butterbeer isn’t just a flavor for drinks. Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour sells soft serve Butterbeer ice cream in a cup or cone, as well as a variety of other flavors such as Earl Grey Lavender and Sticky Toffee. Honeydukes sells Butterbeer fudge, which tastes like mixing the drink and the cream on top into one chewy square. As long as it’s Butterbeer flavored, you can’t really go wrong! 

Enjoy snacking your way through the park, but don’t overdue it or you might need a spell to fix your stomachache! 

Marisa is a UGA student majoring in Journalism and International Affairs and minoring in Spanish.