body images 2020 01 30 image002jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 30 image002jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Relationships from Pop TV’s Schitt’s Creek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Unless you have been living under a rock, you have heard of the Canadian Pop TV series, Schitt’s Creek. The show created by Eugene Levy and his son Dan Levy has won over 62 awards, which include the record-breaking 9 Emmy wins in a single season this year. The premise of the show is a wealthy family made up of Johnny Rose, a businessman, his wife Moira Rose, a former soap opera actress, and their two adult children David and Alexis Rose. The family loses all of their assets due to their business manager lying about paying taxes and are forced to move to a small town they bought as a joke in the middle of nowhere known as Schitt’s Creek. From familial to platonic to romantic, the show has relatable relationships based on unlikely pairings that will leave you laughing and crying throughout the 6 seasons. Whether you have watched the show already or are thinking about starting it, here are 8 relationships that truly make the show! 

Moira Rose and Herself

From the first time we saw Moira to the final wedding scene, we had a large variety of wigs to choose from, and honestly, we can’t choose our favorites! Moira treated “her girls” like her own children. Actually, who are we kidding, she treater her hair better than David and Alexis 99% of the time. Every extravagant ensemble had their own matching wigs, and with a black and white wardrobe, it is easy to rock a pink pixie cut when you are Moira Rose. Even after the fall from the upper class to losing her big movie, Moira never lost sight of what she was worth and never cared what others thought. Whether the wigs were too wild, her clothes were too flashy, her accent too weird, or her acting too dramatic, Moira did not change to please others. We could all learn to channel our inner Moira Rose.

David and Alexis Rose

Even in their adulthood, David and Alexis still have that sibling rivalry that we can all relate too. Having to share a bedroom in a rundown motel in the middle of nowhere is a great bonding exercise. Going from fighting over who gets the bed closest to the door for fear of murderers to Alexis choosing not to respond to texts while David was missing, to Alexis walking David down the aisle, shows the growth of each character and the love between them. Like most brothers and sisters know, we may tease each other and drive each other crazy, but when the time comes, we are willing to do whatever it takes for the ones we love.

Alexis Rose and Ted Mullens

After two engagements, breakups, and makeups, Alexis and Ted had an interesting relationship. This relationship really illustrated how the people we are meant to be with may not be the people we envisioned. Sometimes when we judge people based on our own expectations, we may miss the best thing for us because we never gave it a chance. Alexis has had her fair share of crazy relationship stories from voluntary relationships to forced relationships for political reasons, her relationship with Ted is quite normal, which is unnatural for Alexis. When she breaks off the relationship, she quickly realizes that she may have lost the best relationship she has ever had. Their relationship development and even their unexpected fate in the sixth season really represented the growth of Alexis as she learns to love herself.

Johnny Rose and Stevie Budd

Johnny Rose, a businessman at heart, and Stevie Budd, the local motel employee, form an unlikely relationship. Johnny Rose believes in Stevie’s abilities to run the motel and helps her take it to the next level when things get overwhelming. He treats Stevie like a daughter, and Stevie feels like Johnny is a father to her. If anyone is an honorary member of the Rose family, it is Stevie Budd.

Twyla Sands and Alexis Rose

Twyla Sands and Alexis Rose formed an unlikely but natural relationship based on true friendship. Alexis is used to having friends who only focus on superficial aspects and abandoned Alexis when her family lost their money. Twyla’s central location in the series as being a waitress at the only cafe in the town makes her a crucial character. She serves as a listening ear for all of Alexis’ problems. Within her crazy family stories, Twyla provides advice to Alexis that surprisingly changes the perspective of Alexis and helps her form deeper connections beyond superficial and physical features. 

Roland Schitt and Johnny Rose

Roland Schitt is that person who pops up everywhere even when you least expect them. Roland is extremely open and honest while Johnny is more reserved and private. Although he is a “tad” annoying, Roland definitely grows on Johnny, and throughout the series, he proves to be a dependable and caring friend. For two people who seem like complete opposites, they learn to put their differences aside and help each other. In a small town like Schitt’s Creek, it is beneficial to be on good terms with everyone, and as said before, Roland isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Sometimes being forced to spend time with someone ends up being for the better. 

David Rose and Stevie Budd

As were most friendships in Schitt’s Creek, David and Stevie’s was unexpected yet so perfect. They went from friends to lovers to best friends who supported each other through thick and thin and provided a solid ground for each other to land on when they felt like their world was crashing down. Both could keep each other calm when they were stressed about careers, life plans, and relationships, which is what we all need when we get overwhelmed. Sometimes we sabotage good things before we can truly experience them which happened a lot in Schitt’s Creek, especially with David and Patrick. David has been burned many times in the past and was nervous about starting a relationship with Patrick. Stevie was able to show David how his life now is so much better than before because there is someone who truly cares about him and wants to make him happy without all of the unnecessary drama and heartbreak. Don’t we all wish we had a friend like Stevie?

Patrick Brewer and David Rose

Arguably saving the best for last, the relationship between Patrick and David pulled at our heartstrings and showcased a beautiful love story. In most tv shows and movies, an LGBTQ love story is always faced with apprehension and opposition, however Daniel Levy (creator and writer of Schitt’s Creek, who also plays David Rose) in an interview with Showbiz CheatSheet said, “I want to see a successful queer relationship on television. I just want to see it! And I don’t want to worry about it. I want it to grow. I want it to flourish. I want it to inspire other people. And I want a comedy to come from it. Like, really good comedy to come from it.” The instantaneous chemistry, but real problems faced in a relationship is a relatable yet desirable romance that is rarely portrayed in entertainment. David and Patrick have inspired our own future wedding plans as we look for our own “Mariah Carey”.

If you haven’t started watching Schitt’s Creek, you are truly missing out. Now that all 6 seasons are available on Netflix and other streaming platforms, the thirty-minute episodes make the show binge-worthy! These 8 relationships are only a few of the pairings you will fall in love with during the show, but start watching so you can truly experience them for yourself!

Brianna Mays is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UGA. She was born and raised in Gwinnett County, GA. She is a Terry Business Student majoring in Management: Human Resouces with a minor in Spanish and Fashion Merchandising.