The Best and Worst of Oscars Fashion 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The night of the Academy Awards is one of the greatest nights for movie buffs and fashionistas alike. A huge part of the excitement of the awards is watching to see which celebrity is wearing a show stopping outfit and which celebrity should have stopped to look in the mirror before they hopped into their limousine. Check out Her Campus UGA’s list of the Academy Awards’ best and worst dressed.

Best

Jessica Chastain- Although she did not win best actress for her role in “Zero Dark Thirty,” Chastain’s nude Armani Prive form fitting gown was undoubtedly a winning number. The form fitting gown complemented her flowing red hair perfectly. Was her winning style influenced by her fashion executive boyfriend, Gian Luca Passi de Preposulo?

Kelly Rowland- Former Destiny’s Child member Kelly Rowland spiced up the red carpet in a Donna Karen Atelier slit dress. Although other stars have attempted in vain to rock a slit dress, Rowland killed the look by offsetting the slit with a simple black and white color scheme. As Rowland co-hosted preshow for the awards, the simplicity of her dress only accentuated her extremely toned legs. Talk about Spring Break inspiration!

Olivia Munn- The “Newsroom” actress took control of the runway in a beautiful red gown with a gold embellished top and a long train. Munn’s sleek bun with side swooped bangs added the perfect touch of elegance to her look.

Jennifer Lawrence-Lawrence’s blush Dior gown was beautiful, even as she tripped walking up the stairs to accept the award for Best Actress. Falling never looked so good.

Charlize Theron- Charlize Theron was literally white hot in her peplum Christian Dior Haute Couture dress. But what really stole the show was her new hair cut. After shaving her head for her upcoming movie, Theron sported a pixie cut that brought out her impeccable bone structure.

[pagebreak]

Worst Dressed

Brandi Glanville- The Real Housewife of Beverly Hills that everyone loves to hate, lived up to her loose reputation with a dress that exposed almost her entire bosom. It seemed that if she were to move ever so slightly in the wrong direction, viewers would have an experience reminiscent of Janet Jackson at the super bowl times two. Yikes!

Anne Hathaway- From kicking butt as catwoman in the Dark Knight Rises to winning the award for Best Supporting Actress for singing her heart away in Les Miserables, Anne Hathaway has proved that she can do just about anything,  all while rocking a super stylish bob. Unfortunately one thing that she couldn’t do was choose a flattering dress for the Academy Awards. Hathaway was a walking contradiction in her pale pink gown. The Prada gown had a modest high neckline, but its 90s style was unflattering in all the wrong places. Her back was completely exposed and a high slit in the back rose close to her rear.

Melissa McCarthy- McCarthy has become one of Hollywood’s funniest females after playing Megan in Bridesmaids and starring in “Identity Thief,” which took the box office by storm during its opening weekend. Unfortunately there was nothing funny about her David Meister dress which seemed to be engulfing her.

Helena Bonham Carter-  Helena Bonham Carter is known for her quirky roles, with her most recent being Mrs. Thénardiers in Les Miserables. Perhaps Bonham Carter was trying to match her Vivienne Westwood dress to her personality.