Style > Beauty

‘Beauty and the Beast’ Live-Action Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

This St. Patrick’s Day, a little extra luck came our way as the highly anticipated live action of Beauty and the Beast finally premiered. Viewer’s expectations were high going into this movie as everyone contemplated how director Bill Condon would make a tale as old as time new again. New it definitely was as the live action version enchanted us from every thread in each costume to the last heartfelt note sung. While this version definitely did the classic parts of Beauty and the Beast justice, new aspects of the story unfolded that set apart this movie from the 1991 animated film.

One of the best adaptations to the story is the complexity of the message. While of course showing the importance of not judging someone on their physical appearance, Beauty and the Beast also highlights the importance of not being defined by your gender. Emma Watson (Belle) had a large part in creating a more proactive Belle as she is a well-known public promoter of gender equality. New scenes were included (at Watson’s urging) to highlight Belle’s intelligence, bravery, and inquisitiveness setting a strong example for not only young girls, but anyone who sees the film.

Along with Belle, lots of the main characters proved more dynamic than in the animated film, specifically the Beast. The Beast’s backstory unfolds not only through added flashbacks, but also in a spectacular opening scene that demonstrates the prince before his transformation different from the stain glass opening of the 1991 version. Seeing the Beast come full circle from selfish to selfless helps you understand his intensity as well as emphasizes his growth as you fall in love with him right along with Belle.

While most expected nothing less from Emma Watson than a spectacular portrayal of Belle, Luke Evans offers a pleasant surprise as he embodies Gaston in a way that makes us love to hate him. Evans brought the notorious Gaston attitude and alpha male presence that is crucial to the conflict of the movie. His shallow views and determination to keep gender roles intact represents the resistance of society to change providing the opposition to Belle’s visonary beliefs.

Loyally at Gaston’s side is LeFou, played by non-other than the voice of our favorite snowman, Josh Gad. This was quite the leap for roles as Gad goes from Olaf’s happy-go-lucky attitude in Frozen to LeFou’s complex inner conflict between not only the questionings of his sexuality but his loyalty to Gaston versus what he knows is right. However, Gad makes the leap seamlessly and by the end of the movie, you want nothing more than to have LeFou as your new best friend.

Where words fail the deep emotions of our beloved characters, brilliant music appears. While the classic songs were touching, new song, Evermore, truly shattered every heart in the theatre. The Beast releases his emotions singing about the lasting impact Belle will have on his life and heart as he waits for her unlikely return. Other new song, “Days In the Sun” provides a light-hearted contrast to “Evermore”. It displays the hope the various inhabitants embody while being cursed demonstarting the importance of keeping faith through the tough times and supporting those you love. In order to truly expierence the emotions, listen for yourself:

With each character wearing their heart on their beautifully crafted sleeve, this movie explores so much more than just a pretty girl’s love for a beast. It shows the struggles of friendship, loyalty, and sacrifice. You won’t regret going to see Beauty and the Beast as Disney once again exceeds all expectations.

All gifs are from Giphy.

Abby is a freshman at the University of Georgia as an intended-journalism major. She can easily be spotted by her sporatic red curls and is likely napping, reading, or laughing the day away.