autumn inspired films for your next movie marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

After an exhausting week of back-to-back assignments and endless club meetings, winding down over the weekend is the perfect way to reset and relax your body for the following days. As November calls for cooler temperatures and sweater weather, staying inside for a cozy evening sounds ideal; from reading a book to doing some self-care, the activities are endless. For many film lovers, cuddling up under a fluffy blanket and turning on the screen is the best activity of all. Here are some autumn-inspired film suggestions for your next cozy movie marathon!

dead poets society

As a 1998 American drama film, Dead Poets Society is considered to be an autumn classic. Directed by Peter Weir and starring the late Robin Williams, the story revolves around the simple phrase of carpe diem, a Latin expression that means “seize the day.” Williams plays an English teacher who inspires his students to live their lives as they wish through poetry. From the boys’ old-school fashioned uniforms and the beautifully captured cinematography with overflowing fall tones, Dead Poets Society is a fantastic film to watch for those in need of an American classic.

KNIVES OUT

Starring Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, and many more, Knives Out depicts the death of Harlan Thrombey, an incredibly wealthy mystery writer, and the interesting aspects of his unexpected passing. With most of the shots taking place in the Ames Mansion in Borderland State Park, Massachusetts, the gorgeous dark academia aesthetics help channel the mysterious aspects of the story and its characters. This dark comedy mystery film is perfect for anyone looking for an out-of-the-box movie with an iconic cast.

when harry met sally…

For you rom-com lovers, When Harry Met Sally… follows Harry and Sally, who first meet in Chicago and have many by-chance encounters later on in New York. With many of the film’s trademark shots being captured under bright orange trees and fall weather, the film takes advantage of autumn leaves to create a comfortable setting for the two title characters throughout each meeting. Starring Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal, this film is great to watch with your mom, significant other, or even a close-knit group of friends… just keep some tissues nearby.

harry potter and the prisoner of Azkaban

This 2004 fantasy film based on the third novel in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series mixes pure nostalgia with the beauty of autumn through its purely stunning set designs. As seen in the famous Care of Magical Creatures scene, Harry’s ride on Buckbeak singlehandedly displays the ever-changing yellow and orange trees outside of Hogwarts; Harry soars above the beautiful lake, a breathtaking view indeed. The appearance of pumpkins throughout the movie, specifically outside of Hagrid’s hut, also adds to the autumn color scheme of the movie. If you are looking for a comforting childhood film, get ready to experience the magical Wizarding World of Harry Potter right in front of you.

to all the boys I’ve loved before

Check out Lara Jean and Peter’s unexpected blossoming relationship in the 2018 teenage romance film To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. Following the two title characters, the plot illustrates the unlikely friendship and later romance that forms between book-loving Lara Jean and lacrosse boy Peter Kavinsky as a result of a love contract. The film displays the sweet and innocent aspects of teenage love and takes the audience through all four seasons as the duo’s relationship grows even closer. In autumn specifically, the scenery and coziness of the film help display how the two have grown fond of each other, making it perfect for any rom-com lovers.

With many movies to choose from, it will not be hard to find one that fits your taste. Autumn movies bring a sense of comfort and nostalgia as many choose to watch old-school movies or childhood ones. Modern-day classics are also great, as they portray the beauty of fall through excellent cinematography. Get ready to grab your blankets, throw some popcorn in the microwave and cuddle up to a fantastic fall movie marathon.

Thaomy is a Management Information Systems and International Business Co-Major with a minor in Arabic. She is deeply interested in skincare, media entertainment, community service and creative writing. Additionally, she enjoys online shopping, watching kdramas, reading as well as writing fictional stories.