This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Whether you are taking classes or staying in town to lounge around the pool this summer, you will find yourself bored at one point or another. As you know, Athens is far from a dull city. Summer is your chance to experience the many wonders of the Classic City without the bustling collegiate crowds. This college town turns into a near ghost town upon the final submission of grades. Hopefully you’ll find something fun to do on our summer activities list and if you’re feeling up for it, try it all!

For the adventurer:

• Try your hand with rock climbing at Active Climbing, Northeast Georgia’s #1 indoor rock climbing gym. The location is in a renovated icehouse, just a stone’s throw away from downtown on Barber Street.
  • Enjoy the warm, summer sun and kayak down the Middle Oconee River with Big Dogs On The River. This family owned business likes to raise awareness about keeping the river clean and offers a student discount throughout the week.
  • Have you ever wanted to fly on a trapeze like you see at the circus? At Leap Trapeze you can! During your first class you’ll be up in the air within the first 20 minutes learning the basics of trapeze flying.

For the animal lover:

• Visit the furry friends at Athens Animal Control. A loving dog would appreciate some playtime and who knows, you may even go home with one!
  • If you already have a dog (or any friendly pet), treat them to doggy happy hour at New Earth the first Wednesday of every month. Your pooch gets to enjoy a play date while you enjoy live music and drink specials. Also, 100% of the proceeds at the door go to the Angels Among Us Pet Rescue & The Athens Area Humane Society Spay & Neuter Center.

For the foodie:

• Branch away from your usual and make a restaurant bucket list. Athens is full of authentic, local restaurants. Over the summer you’ll miss some of the longer wait times so treat yourself to a tender steak at Porterhouse followed by a delightful slice of cheesecake at Last Rest.
  • Visit the Athens Farmers Market on Saturday mornings from 8 am until noon at Bishop Park. You’ll find a variety of farm fresh produce, meats, dairy and more! Follow up your trip by preparing a meal with all of your friends.

For those 21+:

• Grab a few of your friends and enjoy an evening at Athens’ local brewery, Terrapin. The brewery is open to the public Wednesday through Saturday from 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm. On site, Terrapin has a large field with picnic tables to host large crowds. Take the afternoon off to kick back and relax with good company and live music.
  • If beer isn’t your thing, make a trip to Trappeze Pub for their Wine Academy held the second Wednesday of every month at 7 pm.

For the sports lover:

• Watch a Classic City Rollergirls match. How often do you have the chance to watch a roller derby match up? And this one is practically in your backyard! The Rollergirls will skate four times throughout the summer at the Classic Center. Visit their website for information about their schedule and ticket prices: http://classiccityrollergirls.com/
  • For you baseball fans, you’ll have many options based on how far you are willing to drive. Right here in Athens the UGA baseball team will have a few May games at Foley Field. Don’t forget, Lawrenceville is home to the professional minor league Gwinnett Braves team; you can pair it with a trip to the Mall of Georgia. If you’re really feeling up to it, take a drive to Atlanta to chop with the Braves.
  • Support college tennis at the NCAA Tennis Championships for both men and women. The championships will be held in Athens May 15-26. You have no excuse not to attend at least one match.

For everyone:

• Experience AthFest. This non-profit music and art festival occurs directly in the heart of Athens. While many of the events are free, Athfest recommends that you purchase a wristband for their Club Crawl. AthFest will begin June 18 and continue until June 22.

Enjoy!

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter