This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Spring is in the air (although it may not feel like it some days). April is upon us, and with April comes the end of the semester. For most of us, there’s only a month and a half left in Athens before we all go on exciting adventures for the summer. Here are some fun things to do with your friends to enjoy the Spring air! 

1. Iron Horse

Photo by Alli Coberth 

The Iron Horse is a sculpture created by Abbott Pattison in 1954. Climb on the horse and take a majestic photo in the sunset. You can enjoy nature and take beautiful photos! 

2. Athens Farmer’s Market

There’s not a lot better than getting fresh food and supporting local vendors. Athens Farmer’s Market is Saturdays at Bishop Park from 8am to noon, and Wednesdays at Creature Comforts from 4 to 7pm. Check out the Athens Farmer’s Market website for more details. 

3. Hiking

There are plenty of places to hike around Athens. The Sandy Creek Park and Nature Center offers many hikes along Lake Chapman. Dudley Park is also a short walk from campus and downtown Athens. There’s hiking, fishing, biking and picnic areas at Dudley Park. If you love animals, check out Bear Hollow. Bear Hollow Zoo is temporarily closing from April 2nd to April 7th.

4. Picnic

There are plenty of great spots in Athens to throw down a picnic blanket. On campus, there are plenty of green spaces around, like Memorial Garden and the majority of North Campus. Grab a few friends and make it a potluck. If you’re feeling studious, grab your homework and take it with you. Soak in those sunrays as you get work done! 

5. Strawberry Picking

Washington Farms is fun all year long! During Spring, you can pick strawberries. Not only is this a fun and cute activity, but you get to go home with a sweet treat that you got to pick out yourself. On Super Spring Saturdays, they host a variety of activities offer a variety of food to purchase. Check out their website for more details.

6. The Botanical Gardens

Celebrating 50 years this year, the Botanical Gardens is a great place to see the flowers bloom. If you’re looking for a place close by, the gardens are located a short 3 miles from campus. Unlike some other botanical gardens, admission is free (but a small donation is encouraged). The garden concentrates on studying rare and endangered species, native plant production, habitat restoration techniques and community outreach and engagement. You can also get to the gardens through the Riverbend and South Milledge UGA bus routes. 

Get outside and enjoy the coming warm weather! 

Thumbnail image via Unsplash

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.