Maria Scheller-Friends Backs Hair Holding Hands Sunflowers Summer
Maria Scheller / Her Campus

Athens Spring Break Activities for a College Girl on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Spring Break in college is usually associated with wild parties, fun times with friends, and the beach. What if you aren’t going to the beach with 12 of your closest friends? Maybe you are on a budget and don’t want to spend a lot to enjoy your week off from school. Whether you are staying in Athens or going back to your hometown, there are fun things you can do this upcoming Spring Break that don’t have to break the bank. 

Cheer on the Dawgs at UGA Sporting Events

For fee-paying students, faculty, and staff, the UGA winter/spring sporting events are “free” and still go on even though there aren’t any classes. If you are staying in Athens or will be close by this Spring Break, it can be an easy outing for you and some friends that don’t require extra payments. If you don’t usually go to games because of studying or exams, this is the perfect time to cheer on the Dawgs without obligations from classes. There are baseball, softball, tennis, and gymnastics sporting events in Athens during Spring Break, or you can attend one of their away games to cheer on the Dawgs near your hometown. Check out the Georgia Dogs Composite Schedule to see all the upcoming sporting events.

Browse Local Art Museums

The Georgia Museum of Art is a FREE art museum right on campus with many exhibits displayed during the week of Spring Break. New exhibits such as “Drama and Devotion in Baroque Rome” and “Kevin Cole: Soul Ties” are great reasons to check out the art museum even if you have been there before. Most people spend about 2 hours at the Georgia Museum of Art, which can be a relaxing way to begin your day and can be followed by lunch at one of the restaurants downtown. The High Museum has free admission of the second Sunday of each month. The next upcoming free Sunday is March 8, which is the beginning of Spring Break for UGA students. The High Museum’s location is perfect for a day of exploring downtown Atlanta and can be a quick walk to a great affordable Atlanta restaurant to satisfy your hunger after checking out all the art museum has to offer. 

If you aren’t going to be near Athens or Atlanta for Spring break, check out an art museum near your hometown and see what kind of deals or specials they have for an inexpensive cultural outing. 

Give Back to the Community

Volunteering in Athens can be a great use of your free time during Spring Break. Athens Animal Shelter, Food Bank, and other organizations are looking for volunteers to give back to the community. These volunteer opportunities don’t have to take up your whole day and most can be done in a couple of hours. This is a great way to serve the Athens community, meet new people, or fulfill service requirements. Check out the Give Pulse website for available opportunities during Spring Break, whether in Athens or your hometown.

Spend an Evening at a Local Restaurant or Bar

Many Athens restaurants and bars have trivia nights and Open Mic Nights throughout Spring Break. Hendershot’s, Beef o’ Bradys, and Blind Pig Tavern are among the many places to spend your evening with friends. Most of these events are free and you can win prizes if you win the game. VisitAthens.com has tons of information about upcoming trivia nights, open mic nights, and other events around Athens.

Spend Some Time Surrounded by Nature

Hopefully, by Spring Break, the weather will be nice enough to spend some time outside. UGA’s North Campus, Founder’s Garden, and The State Botanical Garden of Georgia are beautiful green spaces to spend some nice time outdoors to relax after stressful weeks at school. You can bring your dog and throw a frisbee or a ball, pack a picnic to enjoy with friends or bring a blanket and read a good book. These are all inexpensive ways to wind down over your break as we get an early glimpse of spring weather. 

Although you may not be spending time at the beach this upcoming Spring Break, there are fun and inexpensive ways to spend your week. The whole point of the break is to enjoy time away from the pressures of school and there is no specific way you have to spend it. You also don’t need to spend a lot of money to have a good time. Enjoy your break!

Brianna Mays is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UGA. She was born and raised in Gwinnett County, GA. She is a Terry Business Student majoring in Management: Human Resouces with a minor in Spanish and Fashion Merchandising.