All of the easter eggs in the “bejeweled” music video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Taylor Swift is the QUEEN of so many things. She rules the charts, she rules our hearts, and most importantly, she rules easter eggs. I mean it’s been five years and fans still haven’t found every easter egg in the “Look What You Made Me Do” music video. “Bejeweled,” apparently needed a PDF doc because of the “psychotic” amount of easter eggs she added specifically for her swiftie children. Here is a deeply chaotic attempt to find them all!

1. All of the Speak Now References:
    1. The music video opens with the orchestral arrangement of “Enchanted,” a fan favorite from Swift’s 2010 album Speak Now. Another fun coincidence? Both “Bejeweled” and “Enchanted” are track 9s! “Enchanted” is a song many fans want as a single and they also believe it will be a single on Taylor’s re-recording of Speak Now. When Taylor exits on the 3rd floor, the style of the shots is reminiscent of her commercial for her “Wonderstruck” perfume, a nod to “Enchanted” and her Speak Now era.
    2. 3 step sisters could be a nod to her third studio album, Speak Now, which many believe is the next rerecording.
    3. The evil stepmother says “Speak not, tacky wench!” which is also viewed as a nod towards Speak Now.
    4. When Taylor enters the elevator, she first presses the 3rd button colored purple. The 13th button is also purple. Purple is the color of Speak Now, and Taylor’s next re-recording would be considered her 13th studio album. This is another indicator that Speak Now could be the next re-recording when Swift is ready to release more music. 
    5. The main lights shining on Taylor during her dance scene are purple. This is viewed as another nod toward Speak Now.
    6. The stage and outfit Taylor dances on is reminiscent of her “Mean” music video, another track from, you guessed it, Speak Now. In this scene, all the hands surrounding her, are also a callback to the CD of Speak Now, with all the hands reaching towards the center.
    7. When Taylor receives the proposal from Prince Jack, she is wearing an “S” and an “N” clip in her hair. Again, Speak Now. This is followed by a wink. My brain is melting.
    8. When Taylor gets to her castle, the orchestral arrangement of “Long Live,” is playing in the background. This was the 13th track on Taylor’s Speak Now, and another indicator that Speak Now will be the 13th album. The three dragons on her castle also are a nod to “Long Live,” for the lyric, “I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you,” and her 3rd album. The balcony she stands on is also the exact same as the one from her Speak Now world tour, where she flew around the audience.
    9. This video came out on Tuesday, October 25. Guess what came out on October 25, 12 years ago? You don’t need to, it’s Speak Now.
  1. All the Proposals:
    1. It seems like every month, there’s a new article out claiming that Taylor is married, engaged, with child, or something along those lines. In the video, all Taylor wants is her castle, while her stepmother (the incredible Oscar-winner Laura Dern), defines a proposal as the most important moment in a young woman’s life.
    2. Taylor ends the video by turning down a proposal from a prince, effectively rejecting marriage and keeping her perfect castle instead. This could be a nod to track 6 on Midnights, “Midnight Rain,” where she talks about a prior significant other wanting to have a comfortable relationship and marriage, while she just wanted to focus on her career and achieve her dreams.
  1. Taylor’s Other Albums:
    1. When Taylor-cinderella’s exile ends, a pocket watch lights up saying “exile ends” in the same font as that on folklore and evermore. This could be a nod to her 2020 track, “exile.” “Exile ends,” is also believed to be related to her possibly touring again; it would be her first tour since 2018. It could also be related to her performing “exile” live with Bon Iver for the first time.
    2. Taylor is wearing a sparkly hood in the elevator, which is reminiscent of the hood she wears in the 2020 “willow” music video and the one from the 2017 “Ready For It…” music video.
    3. All of the buttons in the elevator correspond with the album colors for all of Taylor’s different eras.
    4. Taylor first presses the 3rd button in the elevator, colored purple, followed by the 5th button, colored blue. This could indicate that when Taylor releases the re-records of her albums, Speak Now will come before 1989.
    5. The dialogue in the music video is also hinted to reveal the order of her rerecordings. The stepmother and sisters first say “Speak Not!” followed by “Clean” (a track on 1989), then “Swiftly” (her first album is eponymous), and, finally, “Bye Snake,” (a motif from Reputation and what she was called when she was canceled in 2016).
    6. When Taylor exits on the 5th floor, her dress and makeup are reminiscent of the “Wildest Dreams” music video from the 1989 era.

These are all of the easter eggs I could find. I am sure there are 10 billion more, but I hope this helped every baby Swiftie decode Taylor’s cryptic easter eggs. I now need to take a nap, as this took more effort than my chemistry homework. Another quick disclaimer — Taylor makes a lot of hints about her future projects, but do not take this as a sign to demand music from her. She’s human too. Sometimes, purple is just purple. In this video, I doubt it is, but it could be. Anyways, let’s not be greedy because we are all bejeweled and we need to shimmer tonight!

Citing my sources because I needed help with my brain rot:

Medhini is a first year student at UGA, majoring in Cell Biology, on the premed track, and minoring in the Classics. She listens to Taylor Swift 24/7, and loves to read. Follow her bookstagram @storyofusmedsversion!