A24 Hosts Virtual Screening At UGA For “Boys State” On September 24th

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The University of Georgia has a new Emmy-winning friend in the entertainment industry, and the Dawgs couldn’t be more excited. A24, a multi-faceted entertainment company, has set up a partnership with UGA, and media-loving students get to reap the benefits. If you don’t think you’ve heard of A24, you have. The company is a film distributor for iconic and award-winning films like Ladybird, Moonlight, and The Farewell. They also produce some of television’s most adored programs right now like Euphoria and Ramy. It doesn’t stop there—A24 has its own self-titled podcast and an online shop that their dedicated fans are obsessed with.

This New York-based entertainment company has been creating partnerships with universities all around the country and they’re excited to become a part of the Athens community. Being partners with A24 provides students with periodic access to free screenings of highly-anticipated films. The company is specifically partnering with several of our favorite campus organizations such as the University Union, Women in Media, the Entertainment Industries Club, and more! This semester, and for the foreseeable future, these screenings will be virtual, giving everyone the same access to attend.

The first screening will take place THIS Thursday, September 24th, 2020 at 7 pm. Students who RSVP for a spot in the virtual screening will have the chance to watch A24’s newest documentary, Boys State. With this first virtual screening, A24 hopes that UGA students will get greater insight into the voting process and that they will be more inclined to use their voting rights in the 2020 election. UGA students and members of the Athens community who wish to participate in the virtual screening should RSVP here. The chance to RSVP ends at 7 pm on Wednesday, September 23rd—registration for the event closes a full 24 hours before the screening begins. The RSVP process is incredibly simple, and there’s no catch! This screening is completely FREE! Now you have fun Thursday night plans and a totally safe way to see new movies. Thank goodness! I can’t be the only one who misses the movie theater.

According to IMDBBoys State is a documentary that follows the story of “a thousand 17-year-old boys from Texas [who] join together to build a representative government from the ground up.” The film won the U.S. Grand Jury Prize for Documentary at the Sundance film festival and has been creating buzz in Hollywood ever since. Boys State is timely, thought-provoking, and incredibly entertaining. It’s a film that is grounded, as it tells the stories of real people. Everyone can see themselves or see someone they know in this film and, hopefully afterward, be able to use a critical lens when looking at politics and bureaucracy.

The campus partnership with A24 also includes an internship. Each semester, one qualified student who has an enthusiasm for entertainment is chosen to facilitate the partnership between UGA and the company. This year, Taylor Potter, a Grady student and fellow Her Campus contributor, is filling the role and we must say, she’s doing an incredible job. She’s a double major; receiving degrees for both Entertainment and Media Studies as well as Film Studies, making her a perfect fit for the position.

University of Georgia students will be reaping the benefits of this new partnership with A24 for quite some time, and we are ecstatic. If you want to stay updated on all things A24 at UGA related, make sure you go like and follow the Facebook page. Trust us, you don’t want to miss a thing! Once again, don’t forget to RSVP for the Boys State virtual screening that takes place THIS Thursday, September 24th, 2020 at 7 pm! The link to RSVP is here and is located on the Facebook page. You must sign up 24 hours before the screening begins, so what are you waiting for? Go!

Boys State is an Apple Original Film and A24 Release that is now available to stream on Apple TV+.

Senior at UGA & an aspiring writer. Entertainment and Media major. I love Jesus, my family, Harry Styles, cozy blankets and getting emotionally attached to tv and movie characters.