This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Like a lot of people, I had never really heard of Dr. Anthony Fauci prior to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. What I didn’t realize, however, is just how long he’s been contributing to important public health decisions for not only the USA but also for the entire world. Here are 8 facts you may not know about Dr. Fauci, someone who should be on everyone’s pandemic-era platonic crush list thanks to his status as Chief Medical Advisor to President Biden.

Dr. Fauci has served as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases for over 35 years.

He’s also been chief of the Laboratory of Immunoregulation since 1980. That’s kind of a big deal!

He’s advised 7 presidents on public health issues.

From Reagan to Biden!

In case the accent didn’t give it away, Dr. Fauci was born in Brooklyn, New York.

Growing up, he worked at the family business—a pharmacy run by his parents.

In 2008, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Dr. Fauci was integral to the creation of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, which has saved over 20 million lives.

Dr. Fauci loves to read biographies.

In an interview for the Carlos Watson Show, he mentioned John F. Kennedy’s specifically.

San Francisco, California is Dr. Fauci’s favorite place.

In that same interview, he mentioned that his daughter lives there and that he loves how lively it is.

Dr. Fauci used to run marathons.

Now, he power walks—he says it helps him de-stress.

In polls, Dr. Fauci was ranked as the most trusted public health figure during late 2020.

About two-thirds of US adults said they had a fair amount of trust in him. It’s not the most ringing endorsement, but considering the amount of distrust in America at the time, I’d say that’s pretty impressive.

There you have it, folks! Dr. Fauci is an incredibly smart person who is possibly the most influential scientist of the era. Remember to wear your masks, social distance, and get vaccinated when you’re eligible!

Laura is a fourth-year Communication Studies major with a Spanish minor at UGA. She spent a semester working at Disney and can say with confidence that lovebugs are not as great as the iconic Jonas Brothers song made them out to be.