The 7 Stages of Game Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

If you haven’t already noticed, game day at UGA is kind of a big deal. From withstanding the miserable heat to dealing with “drunk, obnoxious Georgia fans,” there are a few aspects of game day that tend to stress us all out a little bit. Believe us, once you’ve survived game day in Athens, you can face anything. In honor of one of the biggest games of the season this weekend, we decided to compile a list of a few game day struggles that we all know to be too real. 

1. Waking up to the sweet smell of BBQ, courtesy of early tailgaters outside your dorm. You still don’t quite understand why they are starting eight hours   before the game, but you go along with it anyway.

2. Hopping from tailgate to tailgate hoping for one generous soul to offer you free food in exchange for a game of corn hole. Southern hospitality at its best!

3. Now that you’re stuffed with all the hamburgers and hot wings you could find, you’re pumped for a “super exciting” hour-long wait outside the student gates in the hot sun.

4. Sitting in your seat with your game face on and your red pom-pom in hand, you’re ready for kick-off. It’s time to call the dawgs!

5. You’re hot, sweaty, and your throat is sore from singing “glory, glory to ole Georgia” at the top of your lungs, but the dawgs are in the lead so you can’t stop now.

6. It’s nearing the end of the fourth quarter and the scores are close. The anticipation is killing you as you anxiously cross your fingers praying for another victory.

7. The dawgs win! The crowd is going wild and you’re cheering right along with them. You run down to to hedges in hopes of giving Nick Chubb a pat on the back, congratulating him and the rest of the team on their success. 

Ultimately, game day is an adventurous rollercoaster of emotion that can often times get pretty hectic. However, nothing is better than the feeling of winning the game and cheering on your team all the way.