7 Reasons Why The Single Life Is Awesome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Valentine’s Day. The one day of the year where there is an emphasis on the fact that the world is split into two groups: single and taken. Being single may not seem like a big deal for the other 364 days of the year, but for some reason, Valentine’s Day places a curtain of dread over those lacking lovers, where suddenly being single is seen as a curse, and jumping into a relationship is seen as the cure to all of Earth’s problems. Here’s why being single is a blessing:

1. More time for yourself

Being with a significant other can take up so much of your time—time that can be put towards more important things! Read a book, learn a new hobby, go to the gym… so many more things can be done!

2. Money buys happiness

Buying gifts for each other has never burned a bigger hole in your wallet. Save that money and invest in your future. Spoil yourself, if even.

3. Focusing on your mental health

Most people want to jump into a relationship to find someone to spend the rest of their life with. Yes, that’s nice, but becoming so reliant on someone for your mental and emotional health is quite a dangerous thing to do. If they leave, you’re doomed. Being single, you can focus on improving your mental and emotional health before actually giving a piece of that to someone else, and be perfectly fine if things don’t work out in the end.

4. Being selfish!

Spend more time focusing on you and your goals! I am a firm believer that if you do you and be the best person that you could ever possibly be, someone will notice it and eventually put a ring on it. Know your worth and never settle just because the media is pushing over-romanticized movies down your throat. “Marriage can wait. Education cannot.” Khaled Hosseini

5. Avoid arguments

I am fully aware that arguments are inevitable in a relationship and can even serve to strengthen a bond, but the emotional energy that gets put into the yelling and the crying and silent treatment is just not worth it sometimes. Somtimes you get truly unlucky and have an S.O. who holds a very, very long grudge.

6. #RelationshipGoals? Don’t know her.

The term “relationship goals” has been used to describe countless photos and videos of S.O.’s doing sweet things for each other. Yeah, it might be nice, but let’s face it: not everyone is bound to experience it.

Related: Is ‘#RelationshipGoals’ Really Goals?

7. Getting to know yourself!

Sometimes you feel more free in the social scene when you don’t have someone waiting at home. Get to know your likes and dislikes while you’re single and not when you’re in a rocky part of a relationship. This can help unavoided romances and save time!

Now put your hands up!