7 Reasons Why I’ve Never Skipped Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The epitome of attending college classes is simply not attending. Whether it be for genuine health concerns, hangovers or laziness, college students will find any excuse they can to skip class. This may come as a shock, considering I am in fact a college student, but I have never skipped class. Even in high school I could brag that I had perfect attendance, though this isn’t something that actually impresses people. I have my reasons for always attending class, and maybe you can relate to some of them.

Eye Candy

I’m single, and I want to look at boys. You never know when a dreamy man will walk past you on campus, or even sit near you in class! Yes, I could do this at a gym, but that requires actually exercising (or at least pretending that I am). I also have a fantasy that I’ll meet my future boyfriend in class. My lack of partying and my lack of extracurricular clubs means that I need to find some way of meeting a man. 

Waste of Money

I paid for this s***, so why would I skip? Paying for college took a toll on my family’s finances so I will not jeopardize that. There’s statistics online that explain how much money can actually be lost over the course of a college career if skipping classes is done regularly. 

GPA

I desperately want good grades, and you never know what information will be shared during class. There are even some students who only show up to lecture on test days, so I have no idea how they maintain a passing GPA.

Fashion

Class gives me an excuse to wear all my cute clothes. I’m unlike most college girls in that I do not wear giant t-shirts and shorts to class. I dress up every day and spend way too long in the morning to look cute. If I don’t wear my cute crop tops to class, then I won’t have anywhere to wear them. 

Work-Ready

By waking up early every day for class, I am practicing discipline for the workforce. If I can’t handle showing up to an easy class, how am I going to handle going to work every day? College students underestimate the importance of habitual practices, like going to class every day. 

Boredom

I’m always bored, so going to class gives me something to do. There’s a limit to how much time I can spend in my bed. Why stay at home in silence when I could go to class and ignore people in public?

Anxiety

If I skip class, I will end up sitting in my room sweating over the fact that I may have missed something important. Was there a pop quiz? Were test answers given? Did the teacher hand out money to the students who showed up to class? You won’t know unless you show up.

Most days I don’t actually justify going to class with all of these reasons, but they’re still pertinent for my life. But let’s be honest, my main motivation is looking at cute boys.

Gabby Melfi is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UGA. She has been a member of Her Campus since her first semester in college. She is an Advertising major and Sociology minor. Her quirks include, but are not limited to: height under five feet, avid DVD collector, fast-food lover, cuddles animals she's allergic to, and obsessive thrift shopping.