7 Athens Non-Profits to Donate to this Giving Tuesday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

As the season of giving continues, it’s a great time to share what you can — whether that be time, money, or just moral support! Looking for some organizations to support this Giving Tuesday? We’ve got you covered!

Project Safe

From their site:

“Project Safe is a 501c3 nonprofit organization working to end domestic violence through crisis intervention, ongoing supportive services, systems change advocacy, and prevention and education.”

Project Safe is able to help anyone leaving an abusive situation through a multitude of services. Project Safe offers a 24-hour Hotline and teen Textline, emergency and confidential shelter, housing assistance, legal advocacy, and financial assistance.”

Donate here

books for keeps

From their site:

“Books for Keeps’ primary program is a research-based effort to end “summer slide,” the learning loss suffered by many children when they are away from school. Children from low-income families are disproportionately affected by this loss, often due to a simple lack of access to books.

Books for Keeps bridges the gap by giving them books – high-quality, exciting books with contemporary titles. It’s a strategy proven to have a similar impact to attending summer school, but at a fraction of the cost!”

Donate here

Nuci’s space

From their site:

“Our mission is to prevent suicide. With a focus on musicians, Nuçi’s Space advocates for and helps to alleviate the suffering for those living with a brain illness and fights to end the stigma of mental illness.”

To accomplish our mission, Nuçi’s Space maintains a health and resource center for musicians as a safe space to seek support and guidance, provides access to affordable, obstacle-free professional care, actively participates in treatment and educates about awareness, prevention and the risk factors of brain illnesses.”

Donate here

Athens Area homeless shelter

From their site:

” Athens Area Homeless Shelter provides collaborative, comprehensive services to homeless individuals and families working toward sustainable independence.

AAHS, in collaboration with Live Forward (Formally AIDS Athens), Little Angels, Athens Nurses Clinic and Advantage Behavioral Health Systems is a part of the ARCH initiative. Athens Resource Center for Hope (ARCH) is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization created for the purpose of identifying gaps in the current array of homeless services for Athens-Clarke County and developing and implementing programming to fill these gaps through opportunities afforded by the Navy Supply Corps School Base Reuse Plan. Utilizing the resources of the ARCH Village, AAHS currently shelters 11 homeless families with children as they transition out of homelessness, as they access resources to help them become economically self-sufficient. Since its opening in April 2016, we are grateful to have provided shelter for over 100 families and their children – including single dads and in-tact families.”

Donate here

College factory

From their site:

” Finishing a post-secondary education program is critical to a student’s future earnings. Yet, too many well-qualified students are discouraged from pursuing postsecondary education by avoidable barriers such as a lack of information regarding the admissions process, limited understanding of the availability of and access to financial aid assistance, and the lack of affordable test prep courses.  In Clarke County, the high school graduation rate is 74.6%, while the college-going rate is less than 40%. With the high school counselor-to-student ratio over 450:1, students are not receiving the one-on-one, intensive postsecondary education counseling required to be successful.  

College Factory was founded to supplement college counseling offered in Clarke County schools and enhance Georgia’s workforce development by providing individualized mentoring to facilitate students’ ability to navigate the complex and often intimidating maze of “college prep,” including technical and vocational education. “

Donate here

Extra Special people, inc.

From their site:

” ESP exists to create transformative experiences for people with disabilities & their families, changing communities for the better

ESP was founded in 1986 in Watkinsville, Georgia to create a community of support for individuals of all abilities. Our founder, Martha Wyllie, noticed an unequal amount of opportunities being presented to children with disabilities and decided she would be the change she wanted to see, beginning ESP as one week of summer camp for only 21 participants. Since our humble beginning, we have grown to now serve over 500 participants from over 30 counties in Georgia through 8 weeks of summer camp, annual after school enrichment programs, and ongoing family support. “

Donate here

Athens area humane society

From their site:

” We rescue and protect companion animals by providing for their wellbeing, uniting them with loving homes, and advocating for a compassionate society. We envision a society where all dogs and cats have a loving home and the bond between pets and people is celebrated.”

Donate here

Remember, you can give thanks without necessarily donating money. If you’re financially unable to but still want to support, you can offer help by looking into volunteer opportunities or donating clothes/canned goods!

Hannah is currently a Fisheries & Wildlife major pursuing a certificate in Environmental Education. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she can usually be found watching TikToks or looking at animals somewhere.