6 Shows You Don’t Want to Miss This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Spring marks the return of classes, flowers, and warm weather. Oh, and TV –which is obviously the most important thing. We know what you’re thinking: our priorities are perfectly in order. Whether you’re into the serious dramas, the light-hearted comedies, or everything in-between, this spring’s TV line-up has something for everyone.

Our old favorites are returning, some are (so sadly) ending for good, and some brand new ones are coming in to cushion the blow. So it’s time to plant our butts down on our couches and spend our nights giving in to our favorite addiction. Here’s a list we’ve compiled of the six shows you definitely need to start and/or continue watching this spring:

1. Fresh Off the Boat

ABC, Wednesday, Feb. 4

Although Fresh Off the Boat has technically already premiered, there’s still plenty of time to catch up! This brand new family comedy has gained lots of buzz and praise over its no-holds-barred depiction of an Asian-American family, based on the memoir of chef Eddie Huang. Critics have praised the show for being smart, realistic, and refreshingly different. It may also be hysterically funny. Trust us, you want to catch up on this one. 

2. Better Call Saul

AMC, Sunday, Feb. 8

Four words: Breaking. Bad. Is. Back. Well, kind of. Slimy lawyer Saul Goodman is back for Round Two on our TV screens and the world could not be more excited. The prequel to the much-beloved meth-cooking drama has been hotly anticipated since its announcement. But don’t expect this to be Breaking Bad 2.0. Saul is bringing his own, uh, special, charisma and charm to his adventures on the small screen. Don’t miss out!

3. Once Upon A Time

ABC, Sunday, March 1

For all the Disney-philes out there, Once Upon A Time has it’s mid-season return this Spring! Fall brought us the Frozen characters, and spring is bringing the Queens of Darkness to Storybrooke. Although Elsa and Anna won’t be returning (cue the unavoidable disappointment), the rest of the Disney crew will be back to fend off the Ice Queen, Maleficent, Cruella de Vil, and Ursula. Tune in to find out if good wins over evil, or if the evil queens finally manage to break down our favorite storybook heroes. Fingers crossed!

4. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Netflix, Friday, March 6

Netflix knows how to make a good show. With hits like Orange Is The New Black, this is guaranteed to be a smash! Created by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock with a cast lead by Ellie Kemper (of The Office and Bridesmaids fame), there’s absolutely no way this could be anything besides comedy gold. Kimmy Schmidt believes the apocalypse has occurred –really and truly believes it. That is, until her doomsday cult is uncovered and dismantled by the police. Thrust into the hustle and bustle of modern-day, non-apocalyptic NYC, Kimmy decides to take life by the horns and be unapologetically, well, Kimmy Schmidt. 

5. Mad Men

AMC, Sunday, April 5

This is it. The final seven. Don Draper and company are back for the final season and it’s going to be intense. If you haven’t started or kept up with Mad Men –you’ve got time. It’s on Netflix so there’s no excuse. Don and friends have been in our lives for seven years now, making decisions ranging from questionable to horrific and it’s time for consequences. And season 7 is going to bring them in abundance. Tuning in is a must –it’s the End of An Era. 

6. Game of Thrones

HBO, Sunday, April 12

Winter is coming. Again. Our favorite dysfunctional families –the Starks and the Lannisters –are back and doing what they do best: battling for control of the Iron Throne. Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last four years, there’s no way you haven’t heard of Game of Thrones. Most likely, you already watch it. If not, shame on you –and there’s still time for redemption. Catch up on the first four seasons on HBO and hop on the bandwagon for season five. A few words of caution: don’t get too attached to people. The world of Game of Thrones is a cruel one, and we may or may not have shed very real tears over a very not-real show. 

Spring is a wonderful time. While we may never admit it to other people (because of the shame), we can at least admit to ourselves that the best part of spring is the seemingly never-ending premieres on television. Christmas? Pffft. Spring is obviously the most wonderful time of the year. Does Christmas give you new weekly episodes of Game of Thrones? We didn’t think so.

Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).