6 Reasons Why It’s Never Too Early to Celebrate Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

My roommate and I recently went to the store to buy Christmas decorations for our dorm room. When I mentioned this to my mom, she asked, “What about Thanksgiving?” My roommate and I had conciously skipped over Thanksgiving, going straight from Halloween decorations to Christmas decorations. 

There are two types of people in this world: those who start celebrating Christmas after Thanksgiving and those who start after Halloween. My roommate and I are clearly the ladder. The appropriate time to begin preparing for the holiday has always been debated as stores continue to bring out Christmas products earlier and earlier. I, for one, don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. While seeing Christmas items in stores before Halloween has even happened is a little early (even for me), there’s so many reasons why it’s never too early to start celebrating. 

The Music

Who doesn’t love Christmas music? It’s festive, upbeat and easy for groups of people to sing along to. I know “Jingle Bell Rock,” “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” and “Frosty the Snowman” all have special places in my heart. There aren’t many popular Thanksgiving songs, so there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to sing Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” any time you want.

The Food

Thanksgiving isn’t the only holiday with an amazing meal with family. There are so many delicious foods at Christmas time. Hot chocolate on a cold night has no competition in my book, but there’s also eggnog, gingerbread and specially decorated cookies. The desserts, the drinks, and the Christmas dinner are always enough to warm my heart and stomach during the cold holiday season. 

The Clothing

Christmas is the season that brings with it the comfiest of clothing. It’s all about wearing fun, fuzzy socks and wacky sweaters. But for those who care more about looking stylish than they do looking festive, the holiday season brings the perfect weather for wearing cute layers. So, if you’re looking to pull out your boots, scarves, and cardigans then it’s time to embrace the Christmas season.

Decorations

Decorating is personally my favorite part of any holiday, but especially for Christmas. Christmas decorations aren’t for scaring others like at Halloween; they’re meant to be welcoming and help the home feel warm and cozy. It’s all about the colorful lights and the sparkly garland. I have so many amazing memories about decorating the Christmas tree as a family during the holiday season. We would always leave the tree up for as long as possible to enjoy every moment during the Christmas season. 

Holiday Activities

Whether you’re spending time with family, friends or a significant other, Christmas offers so many things to do! You could go out and ice skate, drive around looking at Christmas lights, or go to a cute coffee shop to hide from the cold. Or you could stay in and decorate the house together, bake and decorate cookies, watch a holiday movie, or curl up with some hot chocolate. The possiblities are endless!

The Feeling it Brings

Christmas is a time that encourages giving. It inspires people to go out and volunteer in their community. It’s a time for family and hope. Christmas symbolizes the best of the human spirit. It’s a joyful time that encourages people to look on the brightside and be thankful for the people around them. I think the spirit of Christmas should exist every day of the year.

Christmas is a magical holiday. It has helped create unforgettable memories for so many people. If it will bring someone joy to celebrate it for a little longer, I don’t see why they shouldn’t be able to. So go and sing a Christmas song with friends, curl up and enjoy a Christmas movie, and remember that it’s never too early for a little holiday cheer.

I am a CMSD major and Spanish minor at the University of Georgia.