This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Most of our Netflix queues are filled to the brim with TV shows like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or House of Cards. Maybe you’re into the historical dramas like The Tudors. Prefer movies? Maybe you’ve been meaning to re-watch Castaway since it was added on Netflix. Whatever your poison, it can get tiring to watch the same things over and over again.

If you’re looking to expand your horizons a little, try and venture into the world of non-fiction. I know, I know. That sounds boring, but documentaries have been on the rise lately. And trust me –they can be just as exciting and binge-worthy as your favorite TV shows or movies.

If you’re in need of a change, here are six incredible documentaries that are guaranteed to take your breath away.

1. Blackfish

Most of us have taken a trip to Sea World at least once in our lives. And if not, we’ve at least heard what made them famous: the Shamu killer whale shows. This documentary takes a hard look at the life of the killer whale, Tilikum, and his life in captivity. Beautiful and heartbreaking, this is one of the best documentaries I’ve seen in years. Breathtaking!

2. Food, Inc. 

Do we really know where our food comes from? How it gets produced and ends up on our grocery store shelves? Food, Inc. sheds a disturbing light on our food industry, who runs it, and how it’s affecting our country and each of us individually. After watching this documentary, you will look at food and the food industry much differently. It’s impossible not to.

3. Virunga

Virunga is one of the most special documentaries I’ve seen. It documents the struggle to preserve and protect Virunga National Park in the Congo –the place where the last of the wild mountain gorillas live. Poachers, oil companies, and an armed militia threaten to overtake the park and wipe out these beautiful animals. Watch the brave rangers fight to keep that from happening. This one will definitely tug at the heart strings.

4. Bully

It’s no secret that this country is dealing with a very serious issue: bullying. This documentary got a lot of attention for documenting the lives of five bullied teenagers and exposing the disastrous psychological results of bullying. This hard-to-watch documentary is also very necessary to watch. It shows the epidemic of bullying in a way never seen before and shuts down the “kids will be kids” mentality that’s kept the problem swept under the rug for too long. It’s time to take a stand!

5. Living on One Dollar

Over a billion people in the world live in poverty. More specifically, they live on about one dollar per day. To most of us, that’s unfathomable. We often take for granted the comforts we have and don’t think about the fact that, with just a roof over our heads and daily meals, we have it better than most people in the world. Living on One Dollar follows four friends as they take a journey to spend one dollar a day for two months in Guatemala. It’s absolutely riveting!

6. Hungry for Change

It’s amazing how little we know about what we eat every day. This documentary compiles nutritionists, health experts, and other food documentarians to uncover the truth about the health crisis that plagues America. It gives alarming insights into what we’re actually doing to our bodies by eating the way we do. An eye-opening viewing experience, Hungry for Change sheds light on what’s causing our health problems and how we can change them.

In the past few years, the number of quality, entertaining documentaries have risen dramatically. These 6 are some of the best to get you started as you delve into the documentary genre.

Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).