nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

5 Ways You Can Wow Future Employers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

We all know the benefits of spring semester. A fresh start with new classes, spring parties, and the promise of warmer weather coming. But with spring semester comes the inevitable rush to lock down that job or internship for the summer *que cold sweats*. I’m here to tell you that the search for an internship doesn’t have to be stressful, and could even be *gasp* fun. So, put on you’re best blazer and heels, head out to that career fair, and channel your inner #girlboss.

Here are five ways you can stand out to your future employers and land that internship of your dreams.

1. Dress professionally, but not dull

• You’re competing against hundreds, or maybe even thousands of students for that job you want. Make an impression by wearing a colorful top or patterned slacks to make yourself pop against the sea of black pants and blazer sets.

2. Practice your pitch ahead of time

• Career fairs are a lot like a professional version of sorority rushing. You have less than five minutes to pitch yourself to the company representative you’re speaking with. Practice your elevator pitch beforehand, research the companies you want to talk to, and mention something interesting you found about the company during your convo. This shows initiative and major interest in the organization. #score!

3. Perfect your resume

• Your resume is often the first impression employers have of you. Take advantage of resume critique days. Re-read it once, twice, and then three times. Make sure it’s f-l-a-w-l-e-s-s. 

4. Send an email the day after meeting

• Representatives at the career fair can meet hundreds of students within one day. Shoot them an email the next day, and mention something you talked about in your conversation the previous day. This is a great way for you to stand out and stay on their radar.

5.  Know how to write a targeted cover letter

• Display your qualifications clearly and highlight why you are the best fit for the position in which you are applying. Write about how you can help them, and list ideas in which you can help their company grow.

The job search can be tough, but just know you’re not alone. Don’t give up and keep standing out! 

Photo by Alexandra Gorn on Unsplash

Photo by rawpixel.com on Unsplash

Photo by Fabian Irsara on Unsplash

Photo by Andrew Neel on Unsplash

Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters on Unsplash

Wellsley Kesel is a third year journalism student at The University of Georgia. She is a major advocate for healthy living and hopes to one day become a health or lifestyle writer for a high-profile magazine. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her at the gym, scouring Pinterest for fashion and clean eating inspo, and stalking goldendoodle instagram accounts. Find her on instagram @wellsley.j for a peek into her life adventures!