Life > Academics

5 Ways to Reevaluate Your Study Methods Just in Time for Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It getting to be that time where seniors, and other students alike, have lost the motivation to do homework and go to class. Some of us are already dreaming of winter break and not having to worry about any classes, but don’t dissociate from reality just yet! We have five tips for you to stay on top of things just in time for midterms and still have time to have fun!

Look back at your syllabi for all of your classes

Chances are, your professors have made changes to the original syllabus after covering more or less content than what they had planned. Don’t keep working off of the dates listed from day 1! Be on top of things by checking to see if the syllabus has been updated. You probably have more time than you previously expected!

Form/Join a Study Group

One of the main reasons a lot of us procrastinate is because we have no one stopping us or holding us accountable. Sure no one will know if you skip class or a study session here and there, but that one time can turn into a habit. Reach out to a few classmates in class or through a group chat and see who would be interested in studying together. Some of those classmates might be able to explain something to you that you might not understand or the group can split up some of the work and teach the rest of the group.

Schedule time during the day to do your work

Getting on a schedule or planning to do your work during breaks between classes will ensure that not only everything gets done, but you will have the rest of the night to relax without having to worry about procrastinating. To stay focused and make sure you finish everything during the time you scheduled, consider starting a timer pausing every 30 mins for a quick break. Stay off of social media during the 30 mins; don’t worry, you will get to use it when you finish all of your work!

Establish a stopping point

Going along with the previous tip, designate a stopping point every day. For some people, all homework needs to be completed by 10 p.m. or it will be pushed until the next day. Of course, there are times when you have to stay up late to complete something, but for the most part, this stopping point can help give you time to relax or even get on a good sleeping schedule.

Change up your Study Location

If you feel yourself getting bored and can’t seem to focus on your work, try changing up your study location. If you are used to studying in Tate around all of your friends and you get distracted easily, try moving to the Main Library. Being surrounded by other people studying can keep you focused on your work rather than socializing. Changing your location every once in a while can help you avoid falling into a rut and losing your desire to complete your work in a timely manner.

Changing and reevaluating your study habits can help fight that senioritis and help you focus just in time for your midterms. Good luck studying!

Brianna Mays is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UGA. She was born and raised in Gwinnett County, GA. She is a Terry Business Student majoring in Management: Human Resouces with a minor in Spanish and Fashion Merchandising.