5 Ways to Refine Your Focus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

When it comes down to it, living with intention is one of the most fundamental things that defines human beings. To truly live with purpose, a good amount of focus will always be required. However, with all that goes on day to day, it can be extremely difficult to find that focus, especially with all the distractions that constantly exist. Overall, focus is something that requires work over time, so here are few ways to help refine it:

1. Figure out what is important to you. The only way to find your focus initially is to discover what you are passionate about, find out what you need to work on, and determine where you want to spend your time.

2. Determine what your main distractions are and get rid of them. Once distractions are minimized or eliminated entirely, then it’s time to get things done and it honestly will be easier to do so.

3. Remember to take care of yourself. It’s important to not only focus on what you want in life and how to get there, but to also focus on making sure you’re taking care of your health, both physical and mental, by eating right, exercising, getting enough sleep, etc.

4. Let go of the little things. A main part of focus is being more self-aware. What comes along with this is the chance to actually establish what is meaningful to you and what you value. The things that aren’t meaningful and that aren’t going to affect you in the long run are best forgotten. Learn from negative experiences and move on. Focus on becoming a better you for the future, with positivity in mind, leaving all else that isn’t essential to your own self-development in the dust.5. Figure out where the best location is for you to focus when it comes to your studies. Whether it’s the library, a study room, your dorm room, or somewhere else entirely, figure out where you focus best for getting work done and stay there till you feel good about your progress. Along the way, as far as school work goes, stick to a schedule and hold yourself accountable— all will fall into place if you stay with a general, but flexible plan.

Consequently, focus is necessary. Whether it’s focusing on becoming an individual, focusing on your loved ones, focusing on school, or focusing on the best way to find and fulfill your purpose in life, everything will function and develop more efficiently and effectively when focus becomes refined. As you continue through this semester, best of luck finding all that matters to you, and taking the steps necessary to fulfill your goals with fierce focus on your side.