5 Tips for Slaying Game Day on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year once again. Fall semester is in full swing, the weather is on the verge of getting cooler, and football is officially back. At UGA, football is more than just a sport—it’s a culture you grow to adopt from the moment you step foot on campus. Although cheering on the greatest team in all of college football is what game day is all about, part of the fun is getting to dress up in cute red and black outfits and take pictures with all your friends in the stadium. Sometimes hopping on the latest trends comes attached to a big price tag, but you can look good on game day without breaking the bank. Here are five tips you’ve got to check out on how to get that trendy game day look on a budget.

Utilize the white tank top

You’d be surprised on how much you can do with a simple white tank top! You can pick up white tanks for as low as $4.79 at Walmart, and the possibilities are endless for what you can pair it with. A cute printed skirt, like this $10 one from Shein, are perfect for games earlier in the season. As the weather gets colder, throwing on a denim jacket over a white tank with red pants makes for the perfect pairing for an evening in the stands.

Never underestimate the power of red lipstick

Pairing just about any outfit with a bold red lip gives your whole outfit a more cohesive and spirited look. You’re going to need a heavy duty lipstick that can withstand eating, drinking, and especially the heat, and Maybelline’s SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick in the shade Heroine is sure to do the trick (and its only $9.49).

Try shoe shopping online

It’s easy to want to shy away from buying shoes online, but what people don’t realize is how awesome and affordable it can be. Try checking out Amazon for some lightweight sandals or adorable loafers that you know you will be comfortable in and can wear time and time again. The awesome thing about Amazon is if it doesn’t fit, you can always return it for free!

Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize!

Pairing your outfit with some cute dangly earrings or a long beaded necklace gives it that more dressed-up look without compromising comfort. Etsy is a great place to find just about any accessory you could imagine- plus it’s a great way to promote small businesses!

Go check out your own closet

You may be surprised to find that things you already own can be worn together. Lay out all the red, black, and white clothing you have and pair up pieces you haven’t thought about wearing together before. Since red and black are pretty universal colors, odds are there will be plenty of options for you to choose from!

You don’t have to shop at expensive boutiques or high end stores to end up with a cute game day outfit. Putting together the right affordable pieces can turn simple articles of clothing into adorable and cohesive outfits for game day. Try thrifting or online shopping, and you’ll be surprised by how much money you can save while still owning the look like a boss. Cheering the dawgs to victory has never looked better!

Olivia Harris is a fourth year UGA student majoring in Consumer Journalism, with a focus area in Human Development and Family Science. When she's not writing, Olivia loves spending time binge watching Parks and Rec, playing with her dog named Kirby, and eating peanut butter straight from the jar. She is proud to be the fourth person in her family to attend UGA, and will always consider herself a die hard dawg fan.