5 Reasons You Should Watch ‘Legion’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Legion just finished its 8-episode run on FX and it has just about everything you could ask for in a television show. The critically acclaimed drama is a trippy thriller like no other and Rotten Tomatoes has described it as, “bold, intelligent, and visually arresting.”

1. The Storyline

The TV show is based on the X-Men and Legion Marvel Comics, and takes place in an alternate universe from the popular X-Men movies. So, the premise of the show centers around mutant superheroes and their origins. David Haller is the protagonist of the story and he has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. He is actually the son of Charles Xavier, and the voices he hears are real. The whole thing is a little complex overall and can be confusing at times. However, the confusion is intentional, in an attempt to give the viewer the same mindset as the lead character.

2. The Acting

Aubrey Plaza (April from Parks and Rec) and Dan Stevens (the Beast from Beauty and the Beast) are the front runners of this psychological show. Without giving too much away, the pair start out as best friends and things slowly take a turn for the worst. Either way, they both showcase their excellent and diverse acting chops.

3. The Music

The music on the show is a mixture of vintage rock, classic opera and modern day alternative hits. The Rolling Stones, Feist, Radiohead, and David Bowie are just a few big names from the soundtrack.

4. The Fashion

The time period of the show is intentionally ambiguous. However, the costumes are reminiscent of the 1960s and ’70s and includes a range of unique choices from strait jackets to colorful shift dresses.

5. The Dance Scenes

The drama series also includes quite a few unexpected dance numbers. The choreographed scenes add comic relief to an otherwise very dark show. 

You can currently watch Legion for free at fxnetworks.com.

Gifs from GIPHY.

Sam is getting her degree in Film Studies at UGA. She hopes to continue writing entertainment reviews and comedy nonsense after graduation. She's always got a latte in hand and can be seen practicing handstands all around campus.