5 Reasons Why You Should Be Watching “The Magicians”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

SyFy may not be the first TV channel to come to mind when thinking of popular shows. Big names like ABC, NBC, and the CW usually claim those programs. However, one of the most underrated shows running now is The Magicians, a show based off the book series by Lev Grossman. Here are five reasons why you should be adding this show to your Netflix watch-list.

1. It’s a mixture of Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia for grown-ups.

If you were a fan of the Harry Potter or Narnia books or movies growing up, then you’ll definitely love this show. The Magicians takes a similar premise to Rowling’s novels (a magic school) and incorporates ideas from C.S. Lewis’ beloved children’s books (a separate magical world). Don’t be fooled by the similarities, though. This show is far darker, but in a way that appeals to the college generation.

2. It’s a dark comedy.

There’s no shortage of pain and “feels” in this show, but even with how dark it is, it balances evenly with the amount of comedy the writers provide, as well. For every mishap, there’s a joke to follow it. You’ll be laughing just as much as you’re sitting on the edge of your seat.

3. There’s incredible diversity.

This show incorporates diversity seamlessly and flawlessly into its writing. While many shows may incorporate people of color, LGBTQ members, or people with disabilities into their story only to have their minority status be their only defining characteristic, The Magicians crafts a diverse cast of characters with deep and complex personalities that are so much more than their “minority status.”

4. It doesn’t shy away from the hard stuff.

The Magicians deals with many hard topics that most people don’t want to talk about but need to be discussed, and it still manages to do it in a way that acknowledges the struggle that those who have endured depression, addiction, and sexual assault but also recognizes the power that those who have survived it have. (If any of these topics are a trigger for you, though, maybe skip this show.)

5. The relationships between the main characters are intricate and beautiful.

This show is nearing the end of its fourth season, and over the course of those seasons, the characters’ relationships with one another are complicated and comedic, but most of all, they’re heartfelt. It’s always interesting to watch their interactions with one another, especially with the different histories between each of them.

If you find yourself needing a magical binge, kick back with a blanket and some popcorn, and dive into this world of fantasy!

Presley is a senior at the University of Georgia and one of the Campus Correspondents for her Her Campus chapter. She is pursuing a double major in criminal justice and psychology, as well as a minor in Italian, and she hopes to attend law school after graduation. She plans to someday become a criminal prosecutor. When she's not binge-watching Law and Order, she's studying languages, literature, or music.