5 Reasons Why Bullet Journaling can be Stress-free and Stressful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Bullet journaling has blown up over the past few years. It’s become such a big way to organize your life while also being able to show your creative, artistic side. Bullet journaling has certainly changed how I organize my school, work and leisure life. However, bullet journaling isn’t all drawings and colors. There are times that bullet journaling can cause more stress than it’s worth, but in the end it will always be an easy way for me to wind down and unleash some creativity without the pressure of school or work. So, here are five pros and cons to bullet journaling!

Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

Pro: It Unleashes Creativity

Not everyone can be an expert artist, so when I came across bullet journaling I was ecstatic because I could control the level of difficulty in my drawings and organization. I’ve always loved to draw and paint, but I’m no Van Gogh, so bullet journaling was a simple way to incorporate creativity and art into my school and work life. You can control every aspect of it, whether it be minimal or complex.

Con: Keeping Up with Your Bullet Journal

LIfe gets busy, and although bullet journaling is fun and organized, my life is often not. There are many times when I find myself forgetting to fill in my trackers or create new spreads for each week. This is something I struggle with because I want to keep up with it, but sometimes it’s hard to find the time and energy to keep up with the spreads and themes for each month. This con shouldn’t sway you from bullet journaling in general, but it is an obstacle to take into account.

Pro: Bullet Journaling is Freeing

Most people have kept a diary once in their life. If you’re like me though, keeping a diary seems a little juvenial. There’s nothing wrong with keeping a diary, but I’ve always found it hard expressing my thoughts and feelings to an inanimate object. Bullet journaling, however, has allowed me to be able to write down motivational thoughts or quotes in a fun fashion so I don’t feel the need to write out my feelings all the time. Bullet journaling also adds a twist to the diary by allowing you to make it artsy and colorful. Goodbye to the quintisential “dear diary..” and hello to fun pens and cool spreads!

Con: Is My Bullet Journal Ugly?

When it comes to art, I’d say I’m mediocore at best. Although when I started bullet journaling, I felt like modern Picasso with the doodles and spreads I was creating. However, then I took to Instagram and Pinterest to find inspiration for more spreads. This was a good plan, however, my execution of the ideas I saw was subpar. Bullet journaling is fun and freeing, but when you look at the amazing detail and color of other spreads, you fall in love and in turn, hate the mess that is your bullet journal. To keep this dejection from consuming you, just always tell yourself that your creation is unique and it doesn’t have to be perfect, that’s the secret to bullet journaling. Oh, and always, practice does make perfect.

Pro: More Pens!

When starting your bullet journal, you can start with anything! From regular pens and highlighters, to calligraphy pens and fineliners, bullet journaling is unique in that you don’t have to have tons of fancy supplies to start! The best part is that bullet journaling makes you want to expand your stationary collection! Being able to have fancy supplies (that aren’t even super fancy money wise) is rewarding and fun towards your next spread in your bullet journal. I can say that I have bought over 10 new pen and marker packs and 6 new bullet journals this year, and each time I do it gives me a rush of excitement, like when you get to shop for school supplies before the first day of school. Although, it may become detrimental to your bank account in the long run. Don’t let that diswade you, just always remember my motto, “you can never have too many pens.”

Bullet journaling is universal. You can start any time, at any degree of complexity you want! Whether you want a super “doodly”, colorful spread, or a minimalistic, black and white spread, bullet journaling allows anyone to unleash there inner creative side, without having to be Di Vinci. Oh! If you want some more inspiration for your future spreads, below are some of mine!

Photos courtesy of Megan Head

Megan is studying Economics at UGA. She finds herself reading, writing, bullet journaling, and spending time with friends in her free time. She loves traveling and hopes to visit every continent someday, while expanding her extensive pen and stationary collection.