This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has grown tremendously since the first Iron Man came out, gaining the admiration and interest of all kinds of audiences. Captain Marvel, the next installment in the Universe, is no exception. Here are five reasons to be excited for Captain Marvel.

1. Marvel’s first female lead

It’s about time Marvel caught up to DC in making a film centered around a woman. Captain Marvel, aka Carol Danvers, is one of the most influential superheroes in the Marvel universe, and it’s great that she’s finally being introduced into the mainstream culture.

2. The 90s aesthetic

Captain Marvel takes place in the 1990s—way before the events of the Avengers, which means that the music is going to be great. Even the official site for the movie embodies the 90’s theme. 

3. The Kree-Skrull Conflict

In the comics, one of the biggest and most influential plot points is the war between the Kree and the shapeshifting Skrulls. There have been vague references to the Kree and Skrulls in other Marvel movies and TV shows, such as Ronan the Accuser in Guardians of the Galaxy and the Inhumans in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but Captain Marvel will most likely focus on this conflict directly.

4. Backstory of minor characters

The trailers show Nick Fury before he was the director of SHIELD with both of his eyes, which means we’ll probably be learning about his past and the event that caused him to have the iconic appearance that he has in the other films.

5. Super cool superpowers

Captain Marvel is one of the most powerful individuals in the Marvel universe, and she’s got some pretty awesome powers to prove it, including energy manipulation and flight. Watching her abilities play out on the big screen will definitely be an incredible experience.

Make sure to go see Captain Marvel in theaters everywhere on March 8!

UGA Freshman