Life > Academics

5 Musical Genres and Song Suggestions for Your Next Study Session

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Some people can sit in a crowded dining hall and do their homework with all of the background noise going on; those people don’t include me. I like to listen to music and get in the zone. If you are like me and need some music to block out the distractions so you can finish your work quickly and effectively, check out these five genres and music suggestions to listen to during your next study session.

EDM/DJ Mixes

If you like upbeat dance music, this is for you! Rather than focus on cultivating a specific playlist or switching from song to song, which can lead to you being distracted on your phone (TikTok—we are looking at you), try finding one artist you like and listen to a recording of their live set. Tomorrowland is a music festival that has moved to a virtual platform given the pandemic’s current state, which is beneficial because many music platforms such as Apple Music have albums of different DJs performances from Tomorrowland 2021. All of the songs flow together, so you can spend 1 hour focused on your work without focusing on the various songs.

Music Festival DJ Mix Recommendations

Tomorrowland Around The World 2020…

• Steve Aoki
  • Martin Garrix

Tomorrowland 31.12.2020

• Major Lazer
  • Diplo
Alternative/Indie

For softer beats and beautiful melodies, turn to Indie and Alternative music. You can find a curated playlist of different artists or find one artist and listen to their album from the beginning to the end. With a general theme and similar songs, you can have an album play in the background without focusing too much on who the artist is if you like a song. If you are newer to the genre, you can check out Indie Essentials Playlists or find an artist you enjoy and listen to some of their most popular songs to start.

Song/Album Recommendations (Twilight fans are familiar with a few of these songs)

• Pluto Projector by Rex Orange County
  • Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron and Wine
  • Eyes on Fire by Blue Foundation
  • Roslyn by Ben Pellow
  • Revolution by Elias
  • Welcome Home, Son by Radican Face
  • Futile Devices by Sufjan Stevens
R&B

R&B and alternative R&B can be the cool jams you need for calm study sessions, but R&B can be a little upbeat if you need a pick me up as well. Newer artists and R&B classics alike can be just what you need to get your work done. Slower beats and themes of love can help block out distractions and put you in the shoes of the artist singing to their love or the faster songs can have you dancing in your chair while doing math problems.

Song/Album Recommendations

• Sierra Nights by Kevin Abstract ft. Ryan Beatty
  • Boy in Jeans by Ryan Beatty (album)
  • Heartbreak Anniversary by GIVEON
  • Breathe Again by Toni Braxton
  • Smooth Operator by Sade
Hip-Hop/Rap

Are you someone who doesn’t mind someone rapping in your ear while you study? Similar to EDM, this music can be the distraction needed to block out other distractions. If you are like me, the music can get you pumped, but sometimes you might be enjoying the music so much you need a mini dance party—don’t worry, everyone needs a study break from time to time.

Song/Album Recommendations

• Rated R by Rihanna (album)
  • Numb/Encore by Jay-Z and Linkin Park
  • Say Neighbor by Burrell
  • Party Up by DMX
  • London Bridge by Fergie
Instrumental

If lyrics distract you too much, then popular songs or classical/contemporary music are a great option. Artists such as The Piano Guys, 2CELLOS, and Peter Bence have found success on YouTube for their arrangements and outstanding performances of popular songs on the piano and cello. Other artists such as Yanni composes contemporary music for orchestras that redefine classical music that can be energetic and upbeat if classical music usually bores you.

Song/Album Recommendations

• Nearer My God to Thee by The Piano Guys
  • Eye of the Tiger by 2CELLOS
  • Africa by Peter Bence
  • Santorini by Yanni (Live at the Acropolis Version)
  • Yanni Live! by Yanni (album)
    • “Playtime” is my favorite!

Be sure to let us know what your favorite genre is to listen to!

Brianna Mays is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UGA. She was born and raised in Gwinnett County, GA. She is a Terry Business Student majoring in Management: Human Resouces with a minor in Spanish and Fashion Merchandising.