books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Books to Read for Leisure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Leisure reading seems to be quite obsolete among us college students today. When professors are constantly burdening students with those tedious textbook assignments, who can blame you for wanting to avoid reading altogether? Well, did you know that leisure reading instills more confidence and imagination in students? As you may already know, leisure reading also helps to significantly increase vocabulary. While textbooks teach us what we need to know, leisure readings also provide students with a knowledge of life in a more interesting fashion. There are plenty of books and authors that speak to us on a more personal level, grasping at our emotions.

Okay, so maybe reading doesn’t sound as appealing as bar-hopping on Friday nights or watching that hundredth episode of Scandal– especially after finishing your third exam this week. However, authors such as Ken Follett and Julianna Baggott will entertain you on a much deeper level simply because they pull you into a whole new world that you help to create. Books inspire people to think bigger, beyond their current surroundings. In actuality, a book only requires a fraction of the attention that you give to all the other unimportant things in your day. I think I’ve persuaded you to give books another chance. Where can you go wrong with them? Just in case you’re wondering where to start, here are some books that might capture your interest. Happy Reading!

1. The Century trilogy, Ken Follett

I have to start my list with The Century trilogy by Ken Follett. For those of you who don’t leisurely read very often, I recommend that you start with this trilogy. Each book may take about a few months to read, for an inexperienced reader, but it will definitely be worth your while. These never-ending stories include a little bit of drama, romance, and satire. Don’t let the number of pages intimidate you; they’re easy to read and you’ll never want to put them down. 

2. The 19th Wife, David Ebershoff

Don’t worry. This book contains much fewer pages than those mentioned before. David Ebershoff enlightens as well as intrigues his readers with this fascinating novel about polygamy. Ebershoff pieces together fiction and nonfiction in telling the story of Ann Eliza Young, one of fifty-five wives in a polygamous marriage. It’s a book that you’ll never forget. 

3. 11/22/63, Stephen King

Do you often wonder what the world would be like if some of our greatest leaders were to live out the rest of their lives? In this book, Stephen King forces readers to ponder on that question. King takes you on a journey, which includes drama, mystery, and romance. This book is one out of many that seems to be missing that “Oprah Book Club” sticker. By the way, the ending may very well surprise you. 

4. The Kitchen God’s Wife, Amy Tan

While many of you have read some of Amy Tan’s books for classes, there are other books of hers that tend to get overlooked. This book contains a few twists that will keep you indulged. In this drama, Tan defines family in the most intriguing ways. Although this story seems to possess its happy moments, be aware that this book is also a tear-jerker. 

5. The Girls, Lori Lansens

Lori Lansens’s The Girls is a wonderful story about a pair of sisters who struggle in life together. As they manage to overcome their troubles, they learn much about themselves and each other. This book should be on everyone’s reading list. It’s one of my favorites and I promise you that it will soon be a favorite of yours too. Lansens is an excellent author and I encourage you to keep her in mind when choosing your next book from the shelf. 

Malarie is a junior at the University of Georgia, majoring in both English and Human Development and Family Sciences. She is a huge bookworm, and she hopes to work for a publishing company in the near future. Malarie loves eating the best foods, hunting for good music, traveling, and reading very very long books. Needless to say, you'll find that most of her articles center on her hobbies. Her goal, as a writer for Her Campus, is to amuse and inform all of her readers.
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).