Riley Keough and Sam Claflin in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell / Prime Video

5 Book to Screen Adaptations to Look Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The 2022-2023 season has been a great time for screen adaptations of things. Amazon came in with The Summer I Turned Pretty and Daisy Jones and the Six, Netflix released popular fantasy shows such as Shadow and Bone, and HBO found success in the adaptation of The Last of Us from a popular video game with the same name. These incredible adaptations have us reminiscing on the days of Harry Potter, the Twilight Saga, and the Hunger Games. The love for book-to-screen adaptations in particular is back with a bang, and these are some you need to keep an eye out for in the upcoming years. Keep in mind, all of these adaptations are in various stages of development, so release dates can still be unknown.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

This one has been long-awaited since the disappointment of the movies. As much as we loved Logan Lerman as Percy, we missed the heart of these magical books, and with Rick Riordan front and center, this adaptation seems promising. Not much information on the release date for the TV show is known yet, but it was confirmed that filming wrapped in February, so hopefully a late 2023 or early 2024 release date can be anticipated. We can’t wait to see what Disney+ does with this one.

Emily Henry’s Novels

This one is so exciting because as of this week, all three of Emily Henry’s books are being adapted into films. Beach Read, People We Meet on Vacation, and Book Lovers have all been staples of the bookstagram and booktok community, and it is so exciting that we will see these books on screen. While all are in various stages of the scriptwriting process, it is exciting to know that these adaptations are finally coming, as movies. No release date, casting, or any other news is available at this time.

The seven husbands of Evelyn hugo

Netflix is finally adapting arguably Taylor Jenkins Reid’s most popular novel about 50’s film starlet Evelyn Hugo. The book is set in the same universe as the recently released Daisy Jones and the Six, on Amazon Prime, and Reid’s novels Malibu Rising and Carrie Soto is Back. While no casting news is official yet, the project has been linked to stars such as Selena Gomez, Sadie Sink, and Rita Moreno. We can’t wait for more news on this one, and again, there is no official release date.

The last thing he told me

Laura Dave’s thriller is the latest edition of Reese Witherspoon’s book club. The novel follows the wife and daughter of a missing tech executive, unpeeling the layers behind the man’s mysterious disappearance. The show is set to drop on Apple TV + this week, on April 14, and we cannot wait to watch it.

Red, white, and royal blue

This novel about the Prince of England and the First Son of the United States falling in love swept bookstagram and booktube away when it was released in 2019. Audiences loved this cheesy romcom, and anxiously waited for a possible adaptation. Amazon Prime picked up the novel and filming wrapped last summer. The film stars Nicholas Galitzine and Taylor Zakhar Perez and is currently deep in post-production. While a release date is not set yet, it is expected to come out later this year!

Hopefully, this list will update your future watchlist and/or your TBR! We cannot wait to see all of these stories come to life, whether it be through a TV show or film!

Medhini is a first year student at UGA, majoring in Cell Biology, on the premed track, and minoring in the Classics. She listens to Taylor Swift 24/7, and loves to read. Follow her bookstagram @storyofusmedsversion!