5 Benefits of Keeping a Journal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

When most people think of a journal, a book full of personal secrets beginning with the words “Dear Diary” generally comes to mind. Despite the stereotypes that journals are “sappy” or “only for girls,” there are multiple benefits of taking a little time out of your day to jot down your thoughts.

1. It Relieves Stress

At this point in your life, it is safe to say that you have run into some pretty stressful situations, whether it be a breakup, a family death, or even a bad grade on a test. Although a lot of things that happen to us in life are out of our control, it doesn’t mean they are any less difficult for us to deal with. If you’re prone to brooding over a problem, writing down what happened and how you feel about it is a great way to come to terms with certain situations, let go of the past, and focus your efforts on the future.

2. You Can Organize Your Thoughts

Being a college student can be tough. You’ve got so many places to be, people to talk to, classes to study for, and somehow you’ve got to find peace of mind in the middle of it all. The act of taking a brief moment during your busy day to really analyze what you are thinking and putting it on paper can help you organize what’s bouncing around inside your head.

3. You Can Keep Track of Memories and Experiences

College is the point in your life where you will do amazing things with the amazing people that you meet. Don’t you want to remember what you did, who you were with, and what was going through your mind when it happened? If you easily forget details, recording events in your life that make you happy, or events you want to remember in general, can be a really good idea.

4. It’s For Your Eyes Only

Even though you might have some really close friends that you can speak your mind to, odds are you have some things you just aren’t comfortable bringing out into the open for other people to hear. Rather than keep it to yourself, write it in a journal. It allows you to get it off your chest and gives you the opportunity to reflect.

5. It Can Be Whatever You Want It To Be!

You might say, “My life isn’t all that interesting!” or, “I don’t have anything to write about!” That’s where the beauty of versatility comes in. The last, and probably most important, benefit of keeping a journal is that you can use it for whatever suits your needs. Don’t really have a lot on your mind in need of jotting down? Use your journal as a place to put your to-do lists, the names of books you want to read, or quotes that inspire you. Use it to record your dreams, or use it as a creative outlet for fiction or poetry ideas. The possibilities are endless! A journal doesn’t have to hold your deepest, darkest secrets. It can be used however you see fit to best enhance your everyday life. 

If you really want a journal that can be used in a multitude of ways, consider making a bullet journal. It’s different than your typical journal because it allows you to use it in pretty much any way you want to. Click here to see how to get started. Happy writing!