Style > Beauty

5 Beauty and Fashion Tips for Humid Georgia Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Who doesn’t love Georgia? The state is full of culture and character from the northern mountains to the southern tip. One thing that makes Georgia a little less fun is the humidity. The location of the state just makes you feel like you are baking in an oven. Walking to class in 90 degree weather sometimes feels like you are trying to walk on the sun’s surface. We’ve had a pretty cold winter but the weather is gradually going back to the hot temperatures Georgia is known for. We will be prepared for this upcoming spring and summer and here are 5 beauty and fashion tips to ensure that the humidity won’t be too bad.

Keep Your Hair Moisturized

The humid weather will make your sleek, straight hair turn into a frizzball in a matter of minutes. Keeping your hair moisturized will help prevent frizziness. If you find that you wash your hair extremely often, maybe even every day, consider using dry shampoo or co-washing with conditioner in between washes. This will keep your hair from being dry, brittle, and prone to frizziness. Moisturize your hair based on its type to ensure that it looks its best.

*For my natural hair, I deep condition twice a month and use leave-in conditioner when my hair is feeling a little dry.

Cute and Low-Maintenance Hairstyles

When it’s hot and humid, the last thing anyone wants to do is worry about their hair getting in the way. When your hair is on your face or your neck it can make your body feel like it’s way hotter than it actually is. Protective styles such as braids and twists are really easy to maintain and do not require everyday styling. The hair can easily be put up or pulled out of the way. If braids or twists are not your style, try styling some updos. Ponytails and buns can be styled easily by securing the hair with a cute scrunchie or a small scarf that can be tied as a headband or around the ponytail. These styles protect your hair from being exposed to the humidity, keep you cool since the hair will not be on your neck or face, and look so cute!

Little to No Makeup

You definitely don’t need makeup, but sometimes it is nice to wear some. If you do choose to wear makeup, try to nail a light, everyday makeup look. Not only will this save time every day, but it will also keep your face from feeling super oily. Keep blotting sheets with you in your bookbag to keep your face dry. If you are comfortable not wearing foundation but still want some coverage try a BB or CC cream. If you do want to wear some foundation, I suggest using a drug store brand that doesn’t cost a lot. I like the Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation by Maybelline because it is full coverage, light and doesn’t transfer that much on clothes. If you normally get a tan or just a little darker from being in the sun, you can get makeup that matches your skin tone without breaking the bank. Try to purchase makeup that has SPF 15 or higher to give you good UV ray protection without having to layer on sunscreen underneath your makeup. Lastly, always finish your makeup routine with a good setting spray that will keep everything in place even when it is humid outside.

Loose and Easy to Wear Outfits

Now that the winter weather is behind us (well probably behind us…we never know with Georgia weather) it is time to shed the layers and bring on the spring fashion. The key to looking cute and staying cool is light and breathable fabrics. Dresses, skirts, rompers and jumpsuits are easy to wear and are usually made of flowy fabric. Throwing one of these pieces on every day is basically an instant outfit that is cute and cool. Shorts still work if dresses and skirts don’t work for you. Try to avoid denim shorts that will not let your body breathe and can lead to chafing in the wrong places, which is not fun for anyone.

Bright Colors are a Must

Black and other dark colors may be your “happy color,” but when it’s hot and humid, that black outfit will just attract all of the sun’s heat. Bright colors that do not absorb as much heat will keep you feeling less hot and muggy. The bright colors are actually a mood booster and can make you feel better. Challenging yourself to wear more bright colors may help you discover that you like wearing color more than black. If you are into the minimalist and neutral style, wearing white and nude colors are a great compromise if bright pinks and yellows aren’t your style.

*Different colors complement different skin tones. If you have darker skin like me, bright colors complement your skin very well. Wearing yellow just pops on your skin!

Although we can’t change Georgia’s humid weather, we can try and make the weather more bearable for the seasons. Implementing these tips into your everyday life can make you focus on the fun of the seasons rather than the humidity! Happy Spring!

Brianna Mays is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UGA. She was born and raised in Gwinnett County, GA. She is a Terry Business Student majoring in Management: Human Resouces with a minor in Spanish and Fashion Merchandising.