UGA?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
UGA?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by UGA for HCM / Design by Her Campus Media

5 Affordable Eco-Friendly Swaps For Your Beauty Routine at UGA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Presented by Garnier x Her Campus

Here at Her Campus at the University of Georgia, we’re huge advocates for eco-friendly practices and living sustainably to do our part in making the planet a little bit greener – which is why for Earth Day, we’re teaming up with Garnier to help their mission of bringing greener beauty to UGA’s campus. 

Garnier has made a commitment to continue to be greener, and is approved by Cruelty Free International and made with 99% vegan ingredients*, and has a goal to use 100% recycled plastic by 2025. Not only do we love Garnier products, but we also really admire how a leading beauty brand is paving the way toward more accessible and sustainable beauty options for beauty lovers across the globe. While we understand that making eco-friendly choices can be expensive and even impossible in some manners, there are tons of easy changes you can make in your life to help lower your carbon footprint. Tweaking your daily beauty routine is one of the easiest ways you can promote sustainability in your dorm or off-campus apartment, and we’ve got you covered with 5 super easy and affordable swaps you can make today!

Use less water when washing your face

Not only does using excess water increase your and your roomie’s water bill, but it also can have a serious toll on the planet – so choose to use less water when washing your face! You can save water by switching to Garnier’s Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Makeup Remover, which acts as a face cleanser and makeup remover. Without any need to rinse afterward, you can save tons of water that would have been used for washing and removing makeup on your face, lips, and eyes!

clean out your old mascara wands

Make a pact with your fellow green beauty-conscious classmates, and agree that the next time you finish your favorite mascara, you’ll save the wand, give it a good cleanse, and reuse it! Cleaned mascara wands make great eyebrow brushes and eyelash combs, or could even be used as a cleaning tool for tough-to-reach places in your dorm room. Plus, some organizations even accept mascara wand donations to double as tools for wildlife rehabilitation (is there anything cuter than imagining your mascara wand being used to clean a baby squirrel?)

Collect shower water while waiting for it to warm up

Nothing beats a hot shower after a long day, but if your faucet takes some time to heat up, you can be wasting hundreds of gallons of water each year. Save some of that water by getting a bucket and letting the cold water at the beginning of your shower fill up. Then, once your water heats up, you’ve got a bucket of clean water to use around the house! We recommend using your water for houseplants, filling up your furry friend’s water bowl, or even manually flushing the toilet (which is not as weird as it sounds and actually can save around 2 gallons with each flush!)

ditch makeup wipes

Taking makeup off after a night out can be a process, and it’s easy to quickly find yourself creating more and more waste with each makeup remover wipe you use. Instead, invest in some reusable cotton pads, like Garnier’s Micellar Cleansing Eco Pads! Paired with your favorite Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water, these eco pads make great, sustainable alternatives for makeup wipes and can save you a ton of money. The best part? They’re super easy to clean and can be hand washed with soap and water.

switch to a plant-based shampoo and conditioner

Not only are plant-based hair care products great for your locks (…and will *literally* make you shine while presenting your class project!) but they’re even better for the planet! Garnier’s Sleek & Shine Shampoo and Conditioner set for sleeker and shinier hair is perfect for long-lasting frizz control without harming the environment. Infused with argan oil and keratin plant-based animal acids – similar to those already found in your hair – Sleek & Shine is a great addition to your hair care that can help to reduce harmful ingredients washing down your drain. Plus, for bonus eco-friendly points, turn off the water while you’re washing and conditioning your hair to help save those extra drops!

More and more people (and brands!) are making conscious decisions like Garnier to help push toward a greener future. Her Campus at UGA promises to make our impact – and if you want to go green, too, we would love for you to join us at our Spring Trash Clean Up event! We’ll be heading out to Lake Herrick on Thursday, April 20th, at 5:00 pm to remove trash from the area and help to beautify UGA’s campus.

Whether or not you come to our event, we hope you can help do your part too, even if it’s something as small as switching up your beauty routine. While it may not feel like a lot, taking small action steps like these toward sustainability is a meaningful way to help show your support for a greener future in beauty.

*footnote: no animal derived ingredients

This is a sponsored article. All opinions are 100% our own.

Title
Title
Hannah is currently a Fisheries & Wildlife major pursuing a certificate in Environmental Education. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she can usually be found watching TikToks or looking at animals somewhere.