This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

With Thanksgiving fully behind us, there’s no argument that the holiday season is here. Whether you’re waiting until Dec. 1 to get into the festive spirit or you’ve already put-up decorations — I see you 👀 — you can’t go wrong with these iconic hits that are sure to ring in the holiday cheer.

“Last Christmas” — Wham!

George Michael’s classic needs no introduction, as this heartbreak staple has been covered by multiple artists including Taylor Swift and Jimmy Eat World. Released in Dec. 1984, the Christmas number was blocked from the top spot by Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas.” 36 years later, it finally topped the UK singles chart for the first time in 2021, cementing its status as a timeless record.

“Christmas wrapping” — The Waitresses

Ok, maybe this one isn’t on everyone’s list, but it’s definitely on mine. A bit on the alternative side, this 1982 sleeper hit is witty and sarcastic, adopting a more cynical attitude toward the festive atmosphere. If you’re tired of Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas,” look no further than this single’s opening lines, “Bah, humbug.” 

“This Christmas” — Donny Hathaway

Instantly recognizable from its opening notes, this beloved soul classic is full of nostalgia and passion, holding sentimental value for me, as my dad always sings it during the holidays. Although it’s been covered by Chris Brown and Usher, nothing beats the original’s spirit and brilliance.

“Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” — Darlene Love

Ranked as one of Rolling Stone’s Greatest Rock & Roll Christmas Songs, this 1963 track is a celebrated holiday anthem that’s been featured everywhere from Gremlins (1984) to Bad Santa (2003). Performed by Darlene Love on The Late Show with David Letterman nearly every year since 1986, you can’t go wrong with this powerful melody.

“Underneath the tree” — Kelly Clarkson

Maybe it’s because I’ve seen too many aesthetic Christmas décor and travel destination videos on TikTok to this song (I’m a sucker for big-city lights and decorations) that it’s just stuck in my head, but even I can’t deny the upbeat, bright nature of this pop sensation.

These songs barely scratch the surface for holiday hits, so check out the playlist below for my personal favorites!

Anna van Eekeren is a fourth-year student at the University of Georgia majoring in Entertainment and Media Studies, with a minor in Film Studies and certificates in New Media and Interdisciplinary Writing. She is passionate about social justice, culture, media, and the environment. She enjoys reading, writing, playing video games, listening to music, swimming, traveling, and taking personality quizzes.