4 Tips to Survive Post Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

After the best week of your life, you’re back home and not quite ready to step into reality once again. Or you’re coming off the worst week of your life, and you have no idea how you’re going to make it to May alive. Maybe you’re somewhere in between.

Either way, the post spring break blues are real, and you’re trying to figure out how to balance them while still being a productive student. Here are four tips to help you survive post spring break.

1. Take advantage of the warm weather in Athens, too.

Just because Sanford Stadium did not magically transform into a beach while you were gone does not mean that you can’t still have some fun in the sun. Take advantage of the warm weather by walking around campus or downtown. Gather some friends, and have a picnic on a lawn. Lay out by the pool, and work on homework. Or find a hammock or an eno to lay in and soak up some vitamin D. Even though it will be a while before your toes hit the sand again, let the warm weather here bring you some positive energy.

2. Devote time to rest.

As your responsibilities pick up near the end of the semester, find time in your schedule to rest. Some days, you may only have five minutes to sit down and breathe; whereas, other days, you may have the luxury of taking a two-hour nap. Nonetheless, spend your time wisely, and prioritize some “me time,” so that you do not crash. A little bit of resting and self-care is certain to go a long way.

3. Use your weekends wisely.

Since your school weeks will likely be filled with long days working and late nights studying, plan time during your weekends to have fun and let loose. You may not be able to forget about school altogether, but you are sure to have a few hours to spare. Try out those Athens restaurants you’ve “always wanted to eat at.” Take a day trip to Atlanta. Go shopping. It is okay to have fun, and if you work diligently Monday through Friday, then you will allow yourself more freedom for the weekends.

4. Stay focused and run the race.

Spring break was the halfway point, so the good news is that you have made it halfway. You are so close to the end you can almost taste it. Therefore, don’t let yourself down now. You worked extremely hard until this point. Your commitment has paid off in the past, and it will continue to if you choose to not slack of now. Stay determined to finish the race well. You will thank yourself later. Plus, if you finish strong, you can celebrate with more ease and less stress come summer.

Here’s to fighting the post spring break emotions! Soon you will blink, and spring break will be history. Summer break will rightfully take its place!

My name is Marlee Middlebrooks, and I am a May 2018 graduate of the University of Georgia. I was a dual degree student and earned my Bachelor of Arts in journalism as well as my Bachelor of Arts in communication studies. While in college, I was the Editor in Chief of UGAzine, a feature writer for Her Campus at UGA and a beat reporter for The Red and Black. I believe in the power of storytelling. I believe stories truly allow each of us to find a way to connect with one another. When I’m not telling stories, you can definitely find me in the Chick-fil-A drive thru or catching up on the current reality TV craze—my all time favorite show being Survivor.