4 Reasons Why You Should Take College Graduation Pictures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

“You’re going to wish you could go back to those four years,” says everyone when you’re on the cusp of graduating college. “Don’t wish away the best years of your life,” they all say. You’ve heard it all. Really—whether they’ve truly been the best four years of your life or they fall somewhere on the mediocre train, you have made lasting memories that you will hold onto for a lifetime. You won’t be able to get back your college years, so to the 2018 graduates, soak up every little piece of time you do have left. One way to do this is to take graduation pictures.

Sure, you may have had senior pictures taken in high school. So, why should you go through the hassle of more picture taking a few years later? Whether you pay a professional or just buy your friend lunch and drag her out to snap a few pictures of you, here are four reasons you should not miss the opportunity to take college graduation photos.

1. It is a different type of accomplishment than graduating high school, and you should be proud to document this next milestone in your life.

It is one thing to have photos of you in different trending outfits from high school, but it is another to proudly display your college gown and cap with tassels that represent the degree you will earn. Some of you may even have cords or stoles. It is a bit more special to showcase that you have completed higher education.

2. It is a chance to always be able to look back on your favorite places or your favorite landmarks on your college campus.

Getting pictures of you in front of the building where you spent the majority of your classes or the library where you studied will definitely keep you remembering those long days and nights that made the degree worth your time and energy. Additionally, fun pictures playing in the fountain or ringing the bell on your campus will allow you to mark traditions and share a comrade with fellow alumni who love your campus as much as you.

3. Your parents will be thankful for the pictures.

Let’s be honest…As big of a moment as this is for you, it is just as big for your parents, especially if you are a first generation college graduate. Having quality pictures to document this time in your lives is something they will be so grateful to look back on.

4. We take for granted nice photos.

Having a camera on our phone and at the touch of our finger tips at any second does not allow us to appreciate how important it is to document these memories more than just on someone’s iPhone. If you can carve out the time and a little extra cash, getting even a couple of nice photographs of you in your cap and gown is something that you really do take down the road.

You only graduate college with an undergraduate degree once. It is a special time, and we have the technology to document it. You’ve worked hard for this moment—you certainly won’t regret commemorating it!

Photos by Kayley Lorraine Photography

My name is Marlee Middlebrooks, and I am a May 2018 graduate of the University of Georgia. I was a dual degree student and earned my Bachelor of Arts in journalism as well as my Bachelor of Arts in communication studies. While in college, I was the Editor in Chief of UGAzine, a feature writer for Her Campus at UGA and a beat reporter for The Red and Black. I believe in the power of storytelling. I believe stories truly allow each of us to find a way to connect with one another. When I’m not telling stories, you can definitely find me in the Chick-fil-A drive thru or catching up on the current reality TV craze—my all time favorite show being Survivor.