4 Reasons Why It’s Important to Vote in the Midterm Elections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It’s everyone’s favorite time of the year—you smell the leaves changing, the weather is getting colder, football is back and it’s time to vote again. Wait… did you just say its time to vote again? Yes I did—2018 signifies midterm elections.

The upcoming election on November 6th will allow us to vote for our respective state’s House of Representatives, seats in the Senate, our state’s governors and plenty of other topics or positions that need voting on in our community.

Many people choose to ignore midterm elections due to the fact they don’t see the importance of them. People think the most important election is when we vote for our president, but in reality it is midterms that hold the most importance. With midterms, we are allowed the chance to vote for people that vote for the different laws the president tries to pass. No matter what political party you are, or if you aren’t a member of any party, everyone should go and vote for these reasons:

1. If you did not like the outcome of the 2016 election…

This reason is #1 for a reason. After the outcome of the 2016 election, a lot of people started to look forward to the 2020 election. But this November allows us a chance to make the next two years more bearable. It goes back to simple elementary school government class, where we were all shown the classic School House Rock clip. We are built in a system of checks and balances, and the midterm election is a check. The candidates for these roles will have a lot of power and influence if elected. So if you’re ready for change now, go vote!

2. Defy the stereotype that millennials do not vote

Let’s be honest. The biggest age group that votes isn’t Millennials. It’s our grandparent’s generation, the Baby Boomers. According to the US census, 70.9 percent of citizens 65 years and older voted in the last election, while only 46.1 percent of those aged 18-29.  This might be that our grandparents ensure that they go out and vote, while millennials will easily find excuses to stay home. Look at when early voting is taking place, fill out your absentee ballot and let’s defy the stereotype this year.

3. Let your voice be heard

Voting is a great way for your voice to be heard. We are all passionate about different issues, whether it’s women’s rights, equality for all, LGBTQ+ issues, etc. Voting gives us a chance to let our concerns be known—especially in midterms as we are voting for our House of Representatives and state’s governors, who we can mainly address our concerns and issues to.

4.Voting is a privilege our ancestors fought for us to do

Since this is Her Campus, the majority of our readers are women. Before 1920, women couldn’t vote. We had to fight for our right to vote. Now in 2018, our ancestors who fought for women’s suffrage would be highly disappointed that we are not using our rights. We should honor the sacrifices and hardships our ancestors fought for us to one day walk into the voting poll with no questions ask.

There are plenty of other reasons why you should go to vote, but if you need a little more persuasion I will let Jimmy Fallon finish it off.  Happy voting!

Election day is November 6, 2018.

Hey y'all. My name is Jayda Hill and I am currently a student at the University of Georgia trying to navigate adulting. I am Advertising major with a minor in Sports Management and a certificate in New Media. Besides writing, I enjoy laughing with friends, eating at my favorite places, reading, watching college football, movies, Youtube videos, and shows on Hulu and Netflix. I can't wait to channel my inner Carrie Bradshaw with Her Campus UGA.