3 Ways To Roast Pumpkin Seeds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Halloween season includes the tradition of carving pumpkins and hollowing them out to put a candle inside it so everyone can see your design. This leaves the carver with a slimey orange pumpkin filled with seeds. Instead of throwing these seeds away, put them in a colander and wash the slime off, dry them, and roast them at home for a yummy snack. Here’s a few suggestions on how to cook your pumpkin seeds:

Classic Salty

This recipe is straight from my Papa with help from my aunt. Boil your pumpkin seeds in salt water for 15 minutes then put them on a greased cookie sheet and roast them in the oven at 375 degrees. Check them every 15 minutes and move them around for optimal even roasting. They’ll be done after about 40 minutes in the oven.

Flavored (Source)

Toss your pumpkin seeds in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, and then sprinkle them with your desired flavor (cinnamon, garlic powder and parmesan, nutmeg, etc.). Spread them out on a greased cookie sheet, and roast at 325 degrees. Check them every 5 minutes to move them around until they’re done which will likely be after 15 minutes in the oven.

Something Sweet (Source)

Mix one tablespoon of vegetable oil with two tablespoons of sugar. Toss the seeds in this mixture. Spread them out a greased cooking sheet, and roast at 300 degrees. Check them every 10 minutes and move them around. Wait for the sugar to brown for them to be done which will likely take about 40 minutes. 

Here’s to fall-themed snacks! Try one (or all!) of these recipes out and be sure to let us know what you think. 

Gifs from giphy.

Cover photo from Unsplash.

Maggie is pursing a Public Relations degree with a certificate in Public Affairs Communications at the University of Georgia. Her favorite cities are Washington, D.C. and Orlando, Florida. Her regular Starbucks order is a grande iced vanilla coffee, and you can find her on Instagram and Twitter @maggie_cav.