14 “Realistic” Zombie Apocalypse Films You Need to Watch this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Ever think about how you’d fare in the zombie apocalypse? Want to see different variations of survival tactics and outbreaks? Or perhaps you’re just sick of those exaggerated Hollywood blockbusters where the plot is too convoluted, and the characters make utterly ridiculous decisions that have you yelling at the screen (I’m looking at you Resident Evil and Army of the Dead). Well, in true Halloween spirit, here are 14 of the most conceivable zombie films/series that depict the terrifying depths of human nature in a collapsed society.  

28 Days Later (2002)

Purists will argue that technically, Danny Boyle’s dynamic, gripping film about a deadly rage disease that ravages Great Britain and transforms its hosts into violent creatures isn’t a true zombie flick, and well, that’s the point. 28 Days Later redefined the genre, introducing the “fast zombie” variant and grounding its story in brutal realism, one in which the infected serve both as a reflection and catalyst to the erosion of humanity. Although the sequel 28 Weeks Later doesn’t quite capture the same gritty, morally conflicting intensity, it’s still enthralling and renders the series ruthlessly plausible.

Movieclips Classic Trailers/YouTube

Train to Busan (2016)

Perhaps the most potent example in recent years of the perfect zombie picture, Yeon Sang-ho’s critically acclaimed Korean horror feature is strikingly traditional, blending classic elements of relentless fear, critical ingenuity, and compelling character psychology with stunning camera direction and jarring choreography. While its premise (zombies on a train) is electrifying on its own, it’s the movie’s gut-wrenching emotional core that shapes its authenticity.

Zero Media/YouTube

The Girl with All the Gifts (2017)

Set against the backdrop of a Last of Us style fungal pathogen — a stellar video game that’s perhaps the most concrete zombie iteration in media ever —, Colm McCarthy’s adaptation of Mike Carey’s novel is a powerful, fresh tale that explores the question: What if infected (in this case, second-generation “hungries”) could still feel, think, and act coherently?

Warner Bros. UK & Ireland/YouTube

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Championing off the success of 28 Days Later, Zack Snyder delivers a riveting, modern remake of George Romero’s 1978 classic of the same title, forcing audiences to adapt to fast-moving zombies and injecting a heightened sense of panic and desperation absent in the original.

Movieclips Classic Trailers/YouTube

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Any zombie movie list wouldn’t be complete without Edgar Wright’s iconic parody that both indulges and subverts zombie cliches, offering rounds of British humor, highly relatable, ordinary characters, masses of staggering undead, and just a hint of emotional significance to carry it through. What surmounts is a brilliantly crafted comedic love letter to the history of zombie films and a truly enjoyable catastrophic romp.

Movieclips Classic Trailers/YouTube

World War Z (2013)

A definite fan favorite and action-packed hit, Marc Forster’s take on the zombie trope presents the epidemic on a massive, international scale as opposed to confined regions (cities, states, countries), focusing instead on the direct aftermath of global devastation. Complete with swarming hordes, daunting military operations, political undertones, and of course, Brad Pitt wielding an assortment of weapons, this blockbuster is wickedly entertaining and delightfully engrossing with just a semblance of depth to mold its possibility.

Movieclips Trailers/YouTube

Zombie (1979)

Courtesy of Italian horror director Lucio Fulci, Zombie is a grisly entry that hinges on primordial, religious themes and gruesome palpability, as exhibited through its shocking amount of violence and gore and biblical elements (the reanimated represent Judgement Day figures and the final confrontation occurs in a church). Overlooking its handful of ludicrous scenes such as a zombie fighting a shark, it’s a dire depiction of survival in intense circumstances.

HD Retro Trailers/YouTube

[Rec] (2007)

Providing an inventive angle to the staple, Spanish directors Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza deftly use the “found footage” style to illustrate an authentic first-hand encounter of ground zero, giving viewers a voyeuristic, personal connection emphasized through the movie’s claustrophobic apartment setting. The result? A fluid, relentless, exhilarating experience that feels just a bit too tangible.

Movieclips Classic Trailers/YouTube

Cargo (2017)

Co-directors Ben Howling and Yolanda Ramke craft a stirring indie film that isn’t so concerned with its resident infected (the “z” word is never mentioned throughout its 105 min duration) as its survivors and their decisions, specifically Martin Freeman’s father figure who has 48 emotive hours to secure his infant daughter’s safety in the Australian outback before turning. Poignant, captivating, and frightening, Cargo touches on several of humanity’s most profound aspects — family, parenthood, connection, reincarnation, and loss of loved ones and ourselves.

Netflix/YouTube

Zombieland (2009)

A true cult classic for horror and zombie enthusiasts alike, Ruben Fleischer’s witty, satirical “zom-com” follows Shaun of the Dead’s precedent to instant fan success, portraying an amusing, endearing found-family narrative bolstered through clever genre deconstructions, sharp dialogue, and complex yet down-to-earth protagonists.

Sony Pictures Entertainment/YouTube

#Alive (2020)

Released during the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, #Alive is a pulsating, adrenaline-inducing account that follows gamer Oh Joon-woo as he struggles to survive an outbreak while quarantined in his high-rise apartment — a sentiment that’s eerily present within current society and one that’s perhaps too familiar to deal with right now.

Netflix/YouTube

I am Legend (2007)

Although not technically a zombie movie (the infected here are a mutant zombie-vampire hybrid), Francis Lawrence’s 2007 post-apocalyptic “last man alive” thriller is bitingly potent and ominously verité (save for its third act), hinging on themes of isolationism, humanity, nature vs capitalism, and faith — matters mirrored in our real-life pandemic.  

Movieclips Classic Trailers/YouTube

Ravenous (2017)

Similar to Cargo, Robin Aubert’s French indie film “Les Affames” breaths life into the zombie trope by offering a contemplative, melancholic reflection on society’s darkest facets amidst an uncanny Quebec countryside where zombies stack household items in giant mounds. Surreal and deeply disturbing, Ravenous lingers long after the credits roll.

Upcoming Horror Movies/YouTube

George A. Romero’s Dead Series

Of course, the final entry in this listing is Romero’s groundbreaking Dead series, which revolutionized the zombie genre into its modern identity, starting with 1968’s monumental Night of the Living Dead and continuing through decades of nightmarish carnage including Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, and Land of the Dead. Despite inspiring many films later, this franchise distinguishes itself from the rest for its highly feasible display of chaos and the outcome of an epidemic, commenting on pressing social issues of race, consumerism, and morality.

For more zombie mania, check out popular TV shows like All of Us Are Dead, Black Summer, and, of course, The Walking Dead. If you want a more immersive experience, definitely play the acclaimed Last of Us Part 1 (remade for PS5) and Last of Us Part 2 as well as Days Gone and Dying Light 1 & 2, as these stellar video games are sure to satisfy your post-apocalyptic survival cravings.

Anna van Eekeren is a fourth-year student at the University of Georgia majoring in Entertainment and Media Studies, with a minor in Film Studies and certificates in New Media and Interdisciplinary Writing. She is passionate about social justice, culture, media, and the environment. She enjoys reading, writing, playing video games, listening to music, swimming, traveling, and taking personality quizzes.