13 Life Lessons Harry Potter Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to read more since it is something that I love so much, but take little time to do. What better to start off with than the Harry Potter series?

It has been ages since I had the time to binge read the books that taught me so many valuable life lessons!

1. “Books! and cleverness? There are more important things — friendship and bravery.”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione showed us what true friendship looks like. They always stuck by one another through thick and thin, and conquered the Wizarding World together.

2. Money isn’t everything. 

In the first book, Harry learns that his parents left him a fortune in an underground vault at Gringotts Wizarding Bank. Harry could be whatever he wanted material-wise, but cannot buy what he wanted most—his parents. Harry’s best friend, Ron Weasley, comes from a family that does not have much money but his home is full of love, laughter and life. Money can only get you so far.

3. True loves lasts, always. 

Love is a very prominent theme throughout the books—from the beginning to the end. Lily’s love for Harry saves Harry’s life. Snape’s love for Lily protects Harry until his death. True love lasts forever. Just because someone dies doesn’t mean that our love for them ends there.

4. Face your fears

In the second movie, poor Ron had to ‘follow the spiders’ into the Forbidden Forest with Harry to find what was terrorizing and petrifying Muggle-borns in the castle.

5. Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic.

6. Listen to those who are often unheard.

We were introduced to Luna Lovegood in The Order of Phoenix, where she was looked down upon because she was labeled as “Looney.” 

7. Sometimes we make difficult decisions to protect the ones we love.

Almost every character in the books had to learn this lesson. There were very few decisions in the series that were actually easy ones. Think of Dumbledore and Snape hiding the truth from Harry until the time was right for him to finally learn the whole story. This tendency comes from a place of love and protection.

8. Don’t try to be something you are not.

Prime example of this is Gilderoy Lockhart who just happened to learn the hard way!

9. You won’t always get to say goodbye to the ones you love.

Sometimes their departure from this Earth will come suddenly and you will not be able to tell them goodbye. Let that person know how you feel because you never know when they could be murdered. (Damn you Bellatrix!) 

10. “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Dobby stole the hearts of all Harry Potter fans. Since we first met him in the second book, he has constantly sacrificed himself for the greater good. Unfortunately, he pays the ultimate sacrifice when Bellatrix Lastrange murders him and we witness one of the saddest moments of the series. Dobby dies in Harry’s arms and Harry has to bury him. 

11. Always listen to your elders

Dumbledore may not always be so upfront with his plans, but he always has a plan. Harry trusted Dumbledore with his whole heart, because he knew Dumbledore was wise.

12. Don’t judge people by their appearance.

Don’t let half-giant Hagrid’s stature intimidate you. His heart is much bigger than he is. Once again, proving that you can’t judge a book by its cover.

13. Magic is forever. 

Even though we grew up and the series ended, the magic will live on forever. The books made us feel something that words just cannot express. Friendship, the greater good, and love – that’s the real magic in the world.

Year: Junior Major: English Hometown: Winder, GeorgiaFavorite Place: Sitting next to a fire with a good book in my handFavorite Song: Anything Adele Biggest Fear:  Snakes, Spiders, and Porter Johns. I know, weird right?