12 Ways To Describe The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

There are so many emotions that come with this wonderful season. Why is it that we all look forward to this time of year? There must be something special about it. Although sometimes this celebratory season can be difficult depending on one’s situation, there is an undeniable magic that is best if embraced with open arms. I’ve narrowed it down and these words still don’t do it justice, but they’re the best I’ve got. So here are the 12 best ways to describe the most wonderful time of the year:

1) Magical:

Have you ever noticed that there is almost a tangible feeling in the air around Christmas? It’s as if the world is a little better than it is during all the other months of the year and everyone you pass has a little more swing in their step than usual. It’s like everyone collectively decides to be in a good mood at the same time. The magic of Christmas cannot be denied. The childish love for this festive time never really fades and that’s what makes it special. It’s Christmas time, spread the magic and do something kind for someone else. Even if that just means smiling at someone who doesn’t seem to be feeling the holiday cheer.  

2) Warm and Cozy:

The epitome of Christmas is coziness. No offense, but if at some point this season you don’t feel ultra cozy, you’re doing it wrong. Fire in the fireplace, soft blankets, mittens, tacky sweaters and fuzzy socks are all necessities this time of year. Coffee, cocoa, and cider definitely add to the cozy vibes too. You’re cozy self is your best self.

3) Nostalgic:

There’s nothing like watching a Christmas movie period, but there’s really nothing like watching an old Christmas movie that you and your siblings have memorized by heart. There is no greater feeling than knowing exactly when that television special is going to go to commercial break just like it has in that exact same spot for the past 15 years. There is nothing as funny as being able to quote one of the Grinch’s grouchy monologues along with him. There is nothing as nostalgic as watching a classic from our generation like “Merry Christmas Drake and Josh” and continuing to feel like it is a cinematic masterpiece. The consistency of Christmas and the traditions that must be completed and movies that have to be watched causes the best kind of nostalgia.

4) Stuffed:

Every family has their own beautifully unique Christmas traditions. Many of which involve the most delicious foods in large quantities. As it should be. Cookies can’t be made in small quantities, that’s just against the rules. Another rule about baking is that you have to try a little bit of everything as you make it. You know, just to make sure it tastes good. Christmas food tastes better than other food, plus the calories don’t count, so it’s really just a win win. Country ham, grits, cinnamon rolls, cookies, candy, and all the recipes that have been passed down for generations that make Christmas meals superior to all others make this unarguably the most wonderful time of the year.

5) Dysfunctional (in the best kind of way):

Has anyone’s family ever really had a perfect Christmas with no bumps along the way? Something crazy is bound to happen every year and that’s what makes it exciting. When you bring together that many wonderfully dysfunctional individuals there is never a dull moment. Sometimes we wish for a year with no “there’s a squirrel in the Christmas tree” moments, but if we are being honest, the dysfunction is part of the magic. We wouldn’t have it any other way.

6) Contentment:

If you’re contentment comes from eating syrup covered spaghetti, so be it. Contentment comes in all different forms and Christmas is full of moments that make you realize you wouldn’t change a thing. There is so much goodness to be found in contentment, so we hope you find it this year. 

7) Belonging:

For many people, going home and being with the ones you love is the best part of Christmas. Being where you’re from and with the people you feel most comfortable with is indescribably good. Everyone belongs somewhere. You are unconditionally loved and those are the people to be with during this special time. There is nothing as comforting as feeling like you belong somewhere. Even if this Christmas you’re feeling a little Grinchy, find yourself some Whos who love you and be there with them. Family is the very best part of coming home for the holidays!

8) Awe-inspiring

There is nothing quite like looking at a house that is absolutely decked out in Christmas lights! Don’t tell me you’ve never been mesmerized by the beauty of icicle lights set to music because you are lying. Driving around with no destination is already a wonderful time, in my opinion, but everyone agrees with me at Christmas. Put on your pajamas, bring a cup of hot cocoa, and go drive around to see everyone’s holiday cheer represented by multi-colored lights. Just like calories don’t count during the holiday season, neither does the electricity bill. 

9) Cheerful and Bright:

The Christmas tree is lit and so is everyone else. The cheerfulness is noticeable and so fun! Smile at strangers who are busy shopping alongside you! Wake up with a little extra spirit and make every day fun and bright! Have fun and be merry! It’s kinda the whole point!

10) Peaceful:

Christmas is a time to pause and breathe. Allow yourself to slow down and give yourself a well-deserved break. You can’t feel peaceful if you don’t take the time to notice it. This is a time to be with people you love and do the things that make you happy. Be intentionally restful and recharge with the people that bring the best out of you. Peace is difficult to understand sometimes, but it is one of the best things you can have in this world. If you get a glimpse of it this Christmas, hold on to it tightly. 

11) Romantic:

Who doesn’t love to be cuddled? It’s cold outside and there is an endless supply of Christmas movies on television, which means that spending time with one you love is a must. Spend some time this season reminding that special someone how much you love them. Go ice skating and hold hands even if that means that you both fall. Sing duets to Christmas songs on the radio, the louder and sillier the better. And go find yourselves some mistletoe. 

12) Joyful:

Finally and without a doubt most importantly, Christmas is a time of pure joy. That’s why it’s so good. Joy overpowers every other emotion and it isn’t dependent on circumstances. No matter how this year has been or what kind of issues you’re dealing with this Christmas season, you can experience the joy too because it is based on something perfect and unchanging. This special December day is defined by the “good news of great joy” that was brought to people by a little baby in a manger. Good news of hope and healing. Good news that is everlasting and without a single flaw. If you don’t know this good news, I encourage you to look into it this Christmas. The joy of knowing who this holiday is celebrating makes every day feel like the most wonderful time of the year. So, merry Christmas and happy birthday.

Senior at UGA & an aspiring writer. Entertainment and Media major. I love Jesus, my family, Harry Styles, cozy blankets and getting emotionally attached to tv and movie characters.