11 Bands Playing In Athens You Won’t Want to Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

After spending less than two months here, I find Athens to be somewhat of an exciting enigma. If you start where I am on S. Lumpkin, a left will take you from Greek houses straight to Clarke Central High School, and a right will lead you by Sanford Stadium and all the way to the train tracks and the North Oconee River. But let’s not forget the biggest labyrinth of them all: Downtown. By walking just a mile from my dorm, I can see a conglomeration of loyal Athens natives, sorority girls and their fraternity boys, crusty old punk rockers, and hippies selling their crops at the farmers market. I think what has the potential to bring us all into the same room is music. It’s in the ticket stubs that are decomposing between the sidewalk cracks, and it’s the heartbeat of local restaurants. There’s at least one concert at a nearby venue every night, and as UGA students, we should try to see everything this town has to offer.

More than just a meme representing the mass of quirky, angsty teens, Mac Demarco is a Canadian-born bohemian delight. His music demands easy swaying from side to side, and you really can’t help but feel contented. His charming, nasally voice is underscored by cacophonous harmonies of guitar, keyboards, and synth. Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies: that’s what it feels like to listen to Mac Demarco. Tuesday, Sept. 26 at the Georgia Theatre, doors at 8:00 p.m., show at 9:00 p.m.

Whitney’s songs are comprised of warm, alternative tones iced with southern melodies. For the longest time, I thought that the lead singer was a woman, but it is in fact Mr. Julien Erlich, who also handles drums, while Max Kakacek plays guitar. Their music is calming but also has moments of exhilarating triumph when brass instruments ring in the distance. Their sound isn’t quite like anyone else’s, and you’ve got to hear it. Saturday, Sept. 30 at the Georgia Theatre, doors at 9:00 p.m., show at 9:00 p.m.

On an entirely different, millennial-centric note, rapper Ugly God is sure to be a good time as long as you bring a group of friends and your 2017 lingo. His roots are in both the Midwest and the South, but what does that matter when you made Billboard charts right off the bat? His songs are a lit mix of chill, woke, and savage. Thanks, Ugly God ;) Friday, Oct. 6 at the Georgia Theatre, doors at 7:30 p.m., show at 8:30 p.m.

Classic bluegrass meets a refreshing reverberation in Mandolin Orange. Andrew Marlin writes and sings while his wife, Emily Frantz, strikes her fiddle and strums her guitar. This couple has released four albums since 2011 with angelic chord progressions and a sense of familiarity that makes you want an iced drink on a hot porch. Friday, Oct. 13 at the 40 Watt Club, doors at 8:00 p.m., show at 9:00 p.m.

Since he was 12 years old, Conor Oberst has kept himself busy. Now 37, Oberst has his own impressive collection of solo work as well as credits in Dawes, First Aid Kit, M. Ward, Bright Eyes, and many other musical groups. He’s a little like Bob Dylan with more conviction and a 21st century flair, using a good dose of acoustic guitar and harmonica beside steadfast beats. Come see what a 25-year career looks like dressed on a guy under 40. Saturday, Oct. 14 at the 40 Watt Club, doors at 7:00 p.m., show at 8:00 p.m.

In the bicycle-peddling, farmers market-sharing, coffee-drinking city of Portland, Oregon, Blind Pilot banded together in 2005, and you can tell by their music. This mellow, indie band would likely appear on a Spotify playlist titled “Good Morning” with a remarkably current sound that is radiant with positive vibes. Blind Pilot will give you a taste of the West Coast without even leaving the South. Monday, Oct. 23 at the Georgia Theatre, doors at 8:00 p.m., show at 9:00 p.m.

Lace up your Doc Martens and put on your black eyeliner, ladies and gents, because we’re going underground to Scooterbabe. A beeboppy Athens band with intoxicating guitar licks and drums, the band describes themselves as “noise pop kinda.” They’re the sort of indie rock that makes me proud to call Athens home. Tuesday, Oct. 24 at the Caledonia Lounge, doors at 8:00 p.m.

San Fermin could be labeled as alternative pop, but their layered harmonies will suddenly be trampled upon by anthem-esque drums or horns. They’re fun and clearly meticulous about the pieces that make up their songs. San Fermin is a good balance between a jump-and-sing-along band while also being intentional and authentic. Wednesday, Oct. 25 at Live Wire Athens, doors at 7:30 p.m., show at 8:30 p.m.

As great as they are, Spafford presents two dilemmas. For starters, you will have to choose between them and San Fermin since their shows are at the same time. Second, you may tell your dad you’re going to a concert. He’ll say which one, and you’ll say Spafford. He’ll look it up to make sure it isn’t pornographic, and then you’ll see him there at the show. What I’m trying to say is that it’s kind of dad music, with a psychedelic base and a sprinkling of grunge. It will certainly be a rocking time in a sea of baja hoodies. Wednesday, Oct. 25 at the 40 Watt Club, doors at 8:00 p.m., show at 9:00 p.m.

Have you ever gotten to a music festival early in the day, so you go to a band you don’t know, and you have the best time? I wouldn’t be surprised if you told me that band was Hippo Campus. Flower-crown friendly, these guys were bred to be heartthrobs for teens that may be going through “a phase.” That being said, I would love to hop around with my friends at their show, and I bet you would too. Tuesday, Nov. 7 at the 40 Watt Club, doors at 8:00 p.m., show at 9:00 p.m.

To finish off what we’ll be seeing through the beginning of November is Japandroids. This show is bound to be a rager where you may lose your voice from screaming along with the Vancouver-based duo. Garage-rockers Brian King and David Prowse are loud and excited to share their passion with the audience. Japandroids’ Celebration Rock album from 2012 was highly acclaimed, and Near to the Wild Heart of Life is their first album since. Catch this tour while you can. Wednesday, Nov. 8 at the 40 Watt Club, doors at 7:00 p.m., show at 8:00 p.m.

If you can get your homework done in time, I have a feeling that any of these shows over the next month and a half will be worth while. All venues are in Downtown Athens, GA. Ticket prices may vary. Tune in on my Spotify playlist “HCUGA Music.” Have a blast and rock on!

Photo of Neutral Milk Hotel by Matt Billings, 1997.

I'm Lily, a first year Georgia Bulldog! An ideal day includes dancing, laughing, eating, learning, and chilling out. I have a lot of enthusiasm for the things and people I love!