Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Romance Novels to Read This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and while this year may look a little different (for couples and singles alike), there’s one companion that never fails. What companion is this, you may ask? Oh, that’s right: a good book. Here are ten romance novels to keep you company in quarantine this Valentine’s Day.

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

If you love a good enemies-to-lovers trope, then you’ll adore this contemporary office romance. Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman spend their work days continuously trying to one-up each other, but when a new promotion becomes available, the stakes get raised. If Lucy wins, she will become Joshua’s boss, but if she loses, well…she’ll just resign. This novel is full of banter and a perfect read for this Valentine’s Day. Check it out here!

The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa

This one is another enemies-to-lovers, but if you’re more of a fan of rom-coms, this book is for you. After Carolina Santos (a wedding planner) is left at the altar of her own wedding, she seizes upon a life-changing business opportunity where she must collaborate with her (former) fiancé’s best man. What could go wrong? Check Sosa’s novel out here.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thorns and Roses is the first book in Maas’s series by the same name. This YA fantasy series gets better with each book, the first installment being a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast story. The story follows heroine Feyre, who is taken prisoner by the High Lord of a magical kingdom following the murder of a faerie. If you’re looking for something with a little more magic, check out Maas’s book here!

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Marissa Meyer is arguably the queen of fairytale retellings, and she continues to prove it in Heartless. This novel recounts the story of how the infamous Queen of Hearts became the Queen of Hearts. If you’re looking for a little tragedy to mix in with your romance, this prequel to Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is the perfect book for you. Learn more about it here!

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

For those searching for a new series to read, here’s another one! In this novel, love has been labeled a “disease,” and in order to make sure no one “catches” it, every person undergoes a procedure called The Cure at the age of 18. When main character Lena meets Alex, Lena questions if The Cure could be worse than the disease. Find out more here!

(Personal Note: When I finished this book, it was 2am, and I was laying on my bedroom floor in utter ~shock~)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

If you’re here for a time-travel-historical-romance mash-up, this is the book for you. Claire Randall, a combat nurse just returning from WWII, finds herself stuck in Scotland in 1743, and it is here that she meets Jamie Fraser, Scottish Warrior™. The descriptions of the world, the clothing, the scenery, everything is phenomenal. If historical fiction is your thing, check Gabaldon’s novel out here!

Love and Gravity by Samantha Sotto

This novel is a mixture of time travel and science fiction all rolled up into one amazing story of love. Sotto gives us the story of the REAL reason that Isaac Newton invented calculus in this tale of Andrea Louviere. She’s a young cellist who, over the course of her life, sees a boy appear in a “crack” in her wall—a boy who will later be known as Isaac Newton. To really get the full impact of this one, you’re just going to have to read it. Learn more about it here

(Disclaimer: if you read this one, come prepared with tissues)

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Last time-travel romance, I promise (can you sense I have a type?). Niffenegger’s novel is extremely imaginative (no, seriously) as she tells the story of Clare, the art student, and Henry, the librarian (who also suffers from Chrono-Displacement Disorder, i.e. he is sometimes pulled forward or backward in his life, against his will, I will add). This story is moving and heartfelt, and I whole-heartedly recommend it. Read more about it here!

Pride by Ibi Zoboi

Zoboi’s novel is a contemporary retelling of Jane Austen’s classic Pride and Prejudice. Zuri Benitez’s life changes when she meets Darius Darcy, son of the wealthy Darcy family that moved in across the street from her family. This story is a celebration of Black culture and what it means to be Black in America, and it skillfully addresses cultural identity, class, and gentrification in this revamping of a classic. Check it out here!

The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory

Last but not least, we have Guillory’s adult contemporary romance, The Wedding Date. This novel tells the story of Drew Nichols and his new (fake) girlfriend, Alexa Monroe, as they attend the wedding of Drew’s ex. If you’re a fan of the fake dating trope, this cute contemporary romance is right up your alley. Find out more here!

No matter what your Valentine’s Day situation is this year, check out one (or two) of the books on this list this month, and happy reading!

Presley is a senior at the University of Georgia and one of the Campus Correspondents for her Her Campus chapter. She is pursuing a double major in criminal justice and psychology, as well as a minor in Italian, and she hopes to attend law school after graduation. She plans to someday become a criminal prosecutor. When she's not binge-watching Law and Order, she's studying languages, literature, or music.