10 Habits You Form in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

1. Waking up at the last possible minute!

In high school the struggle to wake up early was only beginning. As we entered college, we all fooled ourselves into thinking that we could handle an 8 a.m. class because we did it in high school. Oh, how mistaken we were. 

2. … And as a result we are looking homeless half the time

Let’s face it, walking to class is no fun, especially if all your classes are up multiple hills like mine. At the very beginning of college I at least attempted to put on real pants instead of leggings but that got to be too much after staying up late and having to wake up for an 8 am three days a week.  Now, everyone can spot a college girl from a mile away in her running shorts and over sized t-shirts. 

3. Flocking anywhere that has free food 

At first you love the dining halls and think they’re the best thing ever, but as time goes on or if you don’t have a meal plan, you learn to go to any event for the free food. We’ve all done it, we’ve all gone to a meeting, gotten food, and left. It’s just a fact of college. 

4. …. Or a free t-shirt #itsallaboutthetshirts

The essence of college: free t-shirts. We all want them and we will all wait in extremely long lines for them. Enough said. 

5. Thinking your life is together and then the next day it’s a mess again 

One day, you totally have everything under control. Three papers? Two presentations? No problem, you got it. However, the next day you may get back a bad grade or realize that you really hate your major and your life returns to the huge mess it was the week before. 

6. Waiting until the last possible moment to do laundry 

At many schools, you have to pay to do laundry. Having to pay changes everything. No longer do you care about separating your clothes into delicates or darks and whites. Instead, you try to shove it all into the same washer to save money. And forget only wearing things once. We’ve all done the smell test to see if we can wear the same pair of leggings for the fifth time that week. You know you’ve done the smell test to your clothes at least once. 

7.  Pulling all nighters

Sometimes, school gets a little overwhelming and a test can just sneak up on you. So we end up staying in the library all night in a desperate attempt to learn all of the material to be covered on our test the next day. If this doesn’t happen to you at least once, I applaud you. 

8. Napping frequently

Sometimes we just need a four hour nap after a long day of sitting in class for three hours. You will find that nap time isn’t just for children. You will begin to look forward to nap time as a time to just lay in bed and do nothing for once. 

9. Actually studying like for real

In high school, you could get away with studying for a half hour and still do fine on a test. In college that is so not the case. You could study for hours and hours when you actually want to be in bed and still get a 52 on a test because, of course, it’s over the material you don’t know and not what you know like the back of your hand. 

10. Eating a copious amount of food 

I don’t know how it happens, but in college you somehow get hungrier and your stomach seems to expand and before you know it, you’ve eaten a large pizza by yourself. You will surprise yourself multiple times in college with the amount of food you can inhale. 
Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.