This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Close to a year and a half ago, YouTube created its own subscription service called YouTube Red. It includes cool perks like listening to videos after you close the app and other new features, but it didn’t seem too successful. Most people just thought of it as Pandora Premium: something nice, but not super necessary due to normal, free content.

What a lot of people don’t know is that YouTube Red actually has some original content worth checking out. Most recently, Demi Lovato released her documentary “Simply Complicated” through the service. It got great reviews, especially regarding the quality of the content. 

YouTube Red is still developing and finding creators. Although it doesn’t have the same large budget and resources as Netflix to publish amazing content, it’s definitely raising the bar on streaming. After going through it myself, I have a few recommendations for the best content on YouTube Red.

The Thinning

A science fiction, survival-meets-apocalypse movie. It places America in the touch place of trying to deal with decreasing land mass while the government must use a standardized test to determine which 5% of the population die each year. Think The Hunger Games meets Divergent.

When I described the full feature length film to people, they were not only surprised about its existence but by the fact that it seemed to be a quality movie.

Fredline Beauge, a 19 year-old information systems junior, said, “I’m shocked and found it weirdly interesting.”

Escape the Night

Imagine a live-action game of clue with all of your favorite internet stars and no script, then you get this series. YouTuber Joey Graceffa came up with the concept for the show, which transports internet stars into a different realm and trap them inside a mansion. The only way for them to escape before midnight and not end up trapped forever is to solve the many riddles and missions. Along the way, those challenges result in death.

Foursome

A classic teen drama and comedy that goes through the awkward situations of high school. It follows the life of Andi, played by Jenn McCallister as an awkward teen girl, suffocated by her jock older brother Alec, played by Logan Paul.

Sing it

Have you ever what goes on behind the scenes of one of those talent singing shows? Sing-it puts a comedic-spin on the production team behind a TV show trying to gain a large audience.

Will you be giving YouTube Red a try soon? Let us know what you watch and find interesting.

Tranelle Maner is a senior at the University of Florida. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in film and media studies. Her business aspirations include but are not limited to becoming Editor-in-Chief of a magazine as well as becoming a social media strategist for a large brand or company. She has a passion for podcasts, watching too many cooking videos and scrolling through social media. In her free time she enjoys writing different reaction and opinion articles as well as trying new recipes.