Your Guide to Finding the Perfect Plants for Dorm Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

You finally moved into your new dorm: Congrats! Dorms are a classic staple of college living, and they’re your first space away from home. Unfortunately, they’re typically filled with lots of sharing – and sharing air can get gross. The average indoor air quality is already two to five times worse than it is outside, and dorms come with their own set of issues such as a plethora of college students in enclosed spaces. Plants are an easy solution to air quality concerns and much cheaper than a portable filter.

By adding a few hardworking (and hard to kill) plants onto your bookshelf, you can actually purify your air as you sleep. Plus, the view’s not bad.

To make it easier, these plants are organized from hardest to kill to green-thumb required.

Sansevieria

Currently one of the trendiest indoor plants, this one is as hard to kill as it is cute. A unique feature about this plant (also called a Snake Plant) is that it produces oxygen more often than most other plants. Indoor plants typically produce oxygen only during the day, but sansevieria works 24/7. Take care of yours by forgetting about it and watering every few weeks.

Pothos

A close tie for trendiest plant, pothos and sansevieria are often seen together. While sansevieria will grow up, pothos grows out like a vine making it a perfect addition to the top of a shelf. Fun fact, its nickname is Devil’s Tongue because of its shape. Take care of yours by watering it every few weeks. Pro tip: Buy them a pot they can ‘spill’ out of as they grow.

Spider Plant

Named for how it grows outward, this plant is much friendlier than its namesake. It’s notorious for growing smaller versions of itself at its ends, nicknamed ‘pups’ or ‘spiderettes,’ which you can pick and replant (or gift to a friend). Take care of yours by giving it some light (keep next to your lamp). They take water depending on size. Let them dry out, and if you can stick your finger in the soil and it comes out dry, water the next day.

Peace Lily

One of the prettiest of the air purifiers, this plant has a white flower that can help brighten up a dark dorm. They’re one of the few indoor plants that filter ammonia from the air, so if cleaning fumes are giving you a headache, try this one out. Take care of yours by giving it indirect light when possible. Water every one to two weeks.

Aloe

This staple succulent is at the end of the list since it takes the most sun. However, because of its rare ability to produce oxygen at night, like the sansevieria, it’s a must-have for any college student. Its leaves can be used to treat sunburn and it’s a great starter succulent if you’re looking to improve your green thumb. Take care of it by giving it as much light as possible. Water after the soil dries out, typically every one to two weeks.

Disclaimer: If you have a service animal, double check the plants you bring into the dorm, as many can be toxic to both dogs and cats.

Best of luck luck living in the dorms. With cleaner air and some greenery in your view, though, you’re off to a great start!

Obsessed with all things natural. Let's keep growing. ?
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.