Career

You’re Majoring in What? Why All Majors are Valid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If I had a dollar for every time someone looked at me like I was incompetent when I told them I was majoring in advertising, or even worse, belonged to the College of Journalism and CommunicationsI could easily afford my textbooks next semester. Welcome to life as a non-stem major at a science school. Yes, we exist! I love my major endlessly and cannot wait to see where it takes me in the future. I just wish my Mom’s friends wouldn’t shake their heads and laugh when I told them about it. 

I want to start by saying I’m not trying to bash STEM majors. In fact, most people I know are in STEM! To say the very least, they’re intelligent, capable and creative. I know they’re on a path headed straight for success. However, I find that I don’t always receive the same energy I give in terms of major acceptance. I’ve gotten a good number of laughs, smirks and the iconic “What do you plan to do with that?” when discussing future professional aspirations. I don’t let it sway me, as I know my worth and capabilities. At the end of the day, a degree is only a beginning, the starting line of which we begin our careers. That said, here are just a few things that make me proud to be in communications.

You have the ability to work in every industry

The entertainment, travel, technology, medicine and fashion industries all have something in common: They all support a thriving population of communications’ careers! From advertising and public relations professionals to human relations and internal affairs experts, almost every corporation in the world needs the assistance of effective communicators to spread the word both internally and externally, ensuring all is working as it should. This is good news because this means that as a communications major, you can tailor your career to your specific interests and hobbies! A degree is just one step to building the career of your dreams.

The industry thrives in several of the most renowned cities in the world

I love to travel, especially to big cities. Some of my happiest memories lie in the hearts of foreign cities and smell vaguely of cheap airport coffee. Luckily, advertising is an industry that centers around people and the things that make them feel. With this logic, it only makes sense that it booms in some of the most culturally sound cities in the world. Whether you prefer the east coast or west coast, you’ll be set for a life full of adventure and action wherever you end up. This leads me to my next point.

You have the ability to work abroad

Whether your specialty is advertising, public relations, or telecommunications, one nice aspect of building a career in communications is that it truly is a global industry. Your degree can be applicable whether you plan to live and work in the USA, Europe, or even Australia! While you’ll have to go through the same steps to receive a VISA and gain employment as everyone else, there isn’t any recertification or additional exams you’ll have to endure in comparison to other occupations. The world is your oyster!

Although it isn’t all glamour, working can provide many unforgettable experiences

One of my favorite classes I took in high school was a public relations course. We had a very hands-on approach. I went to a performing arts high school, so a large portion of what we were doing in class was writing articles about the accomplishments of my peers and sending them to the local papers in hopes of getting them published. Along with this, we had speakers come in every week to talk about their experiences in the industry. This was extremely beneficial because it gave me an idea of what my future career might look like upon graduating college. Every single guest speaker had a unique collection of things they had experienced in their time working in communications: working backstage at the Grammys, creating a campaign hand-in-hand with Robin Williams at Disney headquarters and staying in hotels in which you’re campaigning for as part of ‘research.’ This is not to say that working in communications is all glitz and glamour. It certainly is not a walk in the park. There are long hours at a round table, theorizing strategy and working to meet your clients’ every need. However, one thing is certain, there is no other industry like it. These perks are not why I chose to go into this field, but they make me excited to go out and create my own stories to tell.

Culture and teamwork is extremely important in agency-life

I, like many others in our industry, am a people-person. I love socializing and working together to cultivate something powerful. Fortunately, for me and other media majors everywhere, communicating effectively is our jobChances are, your future job will have some sort of team-bonding task force. You’ll have the opportunity to do things with your peers in and out of the office. You’ll be more than colleagues, you’ll be friends! 

This doesn’t even begin to cover the wonders of the constantly morphing industry of communications. I hope that by reading this article, whether you be an advertising major like myself or a biomedical engineer (mad respect), we can all come to realize the beauty of a world where we all get to forge our path. I wish you all success and happiness, no matter what your major is. At the end of the day, we’re all gators, and beyond that, human beings.

In the words of Abraham Lincoln, “Whatever you are, be a good one.”

Shay is a second year advertising major, leadership minor. She likes traveling, eating vegetarian food, and petting her dog, Ziggy. She hopes to pursue a career in account management after graduating.