woman with highlight on her cheek
woman with highlight on her cheek
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Yes, Latinas are Tired of the Stereotypes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As most college students do during a study break that has gone well past ten minutes, I was scrolling on Tik Tok when I stumbled upon a video of a young man talking about his preferences and why he would attract a Latin girl quickly. Intrigued, I continued to watch to see what the young bachelor had to say.

Spoiler alert: It had nothing to do with personality or interests.

His only qualifications were that he would control her “spicy” attitude without hesitation and feed her Takis.

After watching the video two more times, hoping it was a joke, it hit me: This is really what young men think about Latin women. This is what many non-Latinx people think of Latin women, and believe me when I tell you we’ve experienced a lot more microaggressions than we realize and have let a ton of people get away with it. It is tiring, not just for me, but also for many other Latin women who probably feel the same way to endure the constant stereotypes. Furthermore, it is frustrating when they can be avoided, and people do not even realize it.

The power of stereotypes

When asked who the most influential Hispanics are in today’s society, many people will respond with Jennifer Lopez, Sofia Vergara, Shakira, and even Salma Hayek. What do these four women have in common?

If you did not know, all four women have sponsored or started influential charities that help communities, families, and organizations in need. From founding organizations whose mission is to feed children in foster care to helping low-income families in their home countries, all of these inspiring women have done their fair share of giving back to their communities. So if the first thing that popped in your head when asked what these four women have in common was that they have beautiful figures or are known for having “feisty personalities” on and off camera, that, my friend, is a stereotype. Not a compliment—a stereotype. A compliment is supposed to make someone feel admired or appreciated, not to make them wonder if they are objects.

By definition, a stereotype is something conforming to a fixed or general pattern. Furthermore, assuming something, or someone, fits into a general group without knowing much about the group itself is the stereotyping baseline. Hence, when people assume that all Hispanic girls love spicy food or have an attitude, that is indeed stereotyping. Stereotypes can even promote the idea that some girls are more “Latina-looking” than others because of their body types. Some women may not be considered “curvaceous” enough to be a part of the Latina community. This is only causing Latinas to feel insecure and leading to a larger issue: microaggressions.

Microaggressions against Latinxs

According to “‘But You Speak So Well’: How Latinos Experience Subtle Racism,” an article published by Psychology Benefits Society, microaggressions are things said and done—often unconsciously—that reflect a person’s inner thinking, stereotypes and prejudices. We do not realize how often we encounter them because they’re brief and seem unprovocative. However, if a comment has ever impacted you psychologically or, in other words, felt like a back-handed compliment, it was most likely a microaggression.

Comments like “You speak English really well,” “You don’t look Hispanic,” and “Wow, you don’t act like that” are just a few of the microaggressions that Latinas face daily. The comments themselves may not sound like much, but when you break down something like “You don’t look like you’re from Venezuela,” it turns a simple statement into something that can affect someone’s mentality. Not to mention, if Latinas try to challenge these comments, we are deemed too emotional or aggressive when we are merely trying to understand why an individual made a statement that they could have kept to themselves.

Microaggressions are overall too common for Latinas. Latin women are more often told to “speak English” or to “cover up” than any other race in the workplace. For instance, studies show that Latinas of Dominican descent are exoticized and treated as sexual objects more than other Latinas. In the face of constant microaggressions, Latinas often wonder whether it is even possible to end them once and for all. Although it does seem challenging, it is possible.

Microaggressions and stereotypes

When I realized how many microaggressions I was facing weekly, I asked myself whether or not they bothered me. After noticing how much the stereotyping and microaggressions from friends, and even family, had affected me mentally, I decided something had to change. Eventually, I made a mental checklist that could be beneficial for those in the same conundrum:

1. Stop laughing at jokes that seem to rely on racial stereotyping or humiliate certain groups because of their ethnic differences.

2. If in the mood to be bold, ask the individual why they made the statement in the first place.

3. If the stereotyping and microaggressions continue from the same individual(s), take a break from them or cut them off entirely.

These steps alone are not enough to completely stop microaggressions. Doing so on your own is not easy. Nevertheless, if these small steps help you take a stand against the constant microaggressions and stereotypical jokes that target the Latinx community, then, as my Abuelita would say, “Te lo digo por tu bien!”

Jasmine Cubillan is a fourth-year at the University of Florida and is currently studying public relations with a minor in event management and dance. Her articles cover topics from women empowerment to local businesses to support. When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus UFL, she practices yoga or explores new places to have brunch.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.