#WomanCrushWednesday: Malala Yousafzai

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If you’ve never heard of Malala Yousafzai, then you’re in for a wake up call. She did more by age 17 than most of us will do in a lifetime. Malala secretly blogged about her life in Pakistan under Taliban rule. She sacrificed her anonymity in order to stand up for women’s rights in her home country. Not to mention, she has an amazing smile… probably because she’s the youngest recipient in history of the Nobel Peace Prize. What’s not to love about Malala? Here are just a few reasons why she deserves our recognition for this #WomanCrushWednesday:

She literally took a bullet to stand up for what she believes in.

Malala was getting on her usual school bus in Pakistan when a gunman shot her. By this time, she was well known for her beliefs about educating women and protesting terrorism, so she had already made some enemies. Amazingly, the bullet went from her face to her shoulder, avoiding critical damage to her head. After medical intervention, Malala recovered and, like the boss she is, worked even harder to make her voice heard internationally.

She impresses Jon Stewart to the point where he actually started tearing up on his own show.

Not many people can make this sarcastic TV persona cry, but even Jon was taken aback by Malala’s awesomeness when he interviewed her on The Daily Show.

She’s fighting for girls’ education in her home country when others are silent.

Malala cofounded the Malala Fund with her father, which works to ensure that young girls in the impoverished communities of Pakistan, Jordan, Nigeria and Kenya have access to quality education and life.

She had her own book deal at age 16.

I’ll be lucky if I get a short story published online by age 35. Save some publishing space for the rest of us, Malala!

She has the best response to deal with all the haters out there.

Next time someone throws you shade, collegiettes, you should throw back your shoe.

Miss Yousafzai’s bravery, outspokenness and passion for women’s rights make her a role model whom we all can look up to. She proves that age and circumstance should never define our greatness. Maybe if we take a few notes from Malala, we’ll be able to define that greatness for ourselves.

Photo credits:www.returnofkings.comwww.thediplomat.com

Jenny is a public relations major/nonprofit organization leadership minor and a junior at UF. This is her first semester working with HerCampus but has two blogs and contributes to The Independent Florida Alligator. Jenny is active on campus and is devoted to Christian Campus House, NaviGators International and Interfaith Ambassadors. She likes: tea, volunteering, journaling, yoga, photography and film editing, waffles and dancing. She dislikes: procrastinating (even though she does it all the time). Follow her twitter @jschooljen or on Facebook. Also check our her blog Rogue Gainesville.
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!